Strange input problem after upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by cgilly, Nov 30, 2006.

1. cgilly

cgilly New Member

Mar 10, 2005

Advertisements

I had my Toshiba SD-H400 upgraded/fixed finally, and it is now exhibiting a strange behavior after I got it hooked up and running. This has happened 3 times since I got it running yesterday. What happens is when I click on the yellow envelope to view a message in the channel display, the screen goes to black, and the yellow live TV button is no longer illuminated. I can hear the live tv show volume very faintly. When I use the TV's remote to switch to another input ("component 2" vs. "channel 03"), I can hear the live TV channel perfectly, but not see it. I can also switch to dvd, and I can hear that as well, but can't see it. I've checked and rechecked the cords, and everything is plugged in correctly.

The way I've fixed this is to unplug the unit, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on. I'll get the "Welcome, Powering up" message, and after a few minutes, it will start up, after a couple of tries, and behave normally.

Do you think I need to replace the cords? It has to be something with the video input, right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Carole

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Did whoever upgraded your unit remember to unlock the drive after restoring image?

3. cgilly

cgilly New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    I had her put a brand new drive in with InstantCake, so this wouldn't apply. (right?)

Today, when I switch to the dvd function, I get the black screen all the time - but I an HEAR the audio on the "component 2" input when I change it with the tv remote. Note that all a/v cords are plugged into the main input on the tv - nothing is in the component 2 spot. I used the connection instructions from the tivo site for when you have a cable box, tivo unit, and tv - nothing additional is added. I've traced and retraced the connections, and it all seems right.

Any ideas?

4. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    I wrote the sd-h400 unlock tool, and I would be very surprised if it had anything to do with this.

Have you checked the interlace/progressive switch on the back of the Toshiba? If that's switched to progressive, I believe you get nothing out of the composite/s-video outputs and only get component outputs. I've accidently switched it many times when taking the cover off mine, and the result is a black screen with audio still present.

5. cgilly

cgilly New Member

Mar 10, 2005

Advertisements

I can put that switch in either position, and it doesn't matter. (Although I didn't try to switch it, unplug, and restart it to see if that makes a difference.)

6. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Yes, it may be you have to restart for the switch position to have any effect.

7. cgilly

cgilly New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Thought I'd write an update to my problem, in case anyone else experiences the same thing and wants to know what our resolution was:

We unhooked everything and rehooked it all up - the same exact way - and switched the I/P switch to interlace, and that seemed to do the trick. Everything is working now, and the input/outputs are all correct. Woo hooo!

BTW, I did get reimbursed from Tivo (as promised) for the downtime on my unit - it took one phone call to customer service, and they were able to tell that it was down for almost 4 months, and credited my credit card. Great customer service experience with this issue!