Strange HR10 Connection Problem

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wjbjr, Aug 10, 2007.

1. wjbjr

wjbjr New Member

Nov 9, 2000
    Coral...

Advertisements

I replaced my older (original issue) HR10 with a HR20 and connected it via 'S' to an old SD CRT TV, which has been ably served by a SD TiVo.

In booting up, it went through the "Powering Up" and "Just a Few Minutes More" phases, but when it tried to go to download from the satellite, the TV screen went black and stayed that way for a longer time than the download should have taken. Several attempts had the same result.

I returned it to the original HD TV and connected it via component (the HDMI is caput). It booted up normally. I then connected it to that TV via 'S' and, as before, it cut off at the point of downloading from the satellite.

This series of events seems to indicate a problem with the HR10 'S' output, but cannot imagine why it would first send video and then stop.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help.

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    You should try changing the output resolution using the front panel and see what happens. If it was previously connected to an HD TV via a resolution other than 480i, it defaults to that same resolution when it is powering up when it gets to the point where it is downloading satellite info. The TV picture disappears with an S-video connection, because the HR10 does not output HD and SD at the same time. If the HR10 is set to 480p, 720p, or 1080i, there will be on output via S-video, and the screen will go blank. Try it again and see what the resolution is on the front panel, and change it back to 480i. I think you will find it is working normally.

SMK

3. wjbjr

wjbjr New Member

Nov 9, 2000
    Coral...
    That did it. Many thanks. One would assume that after 8 years of HD experience, I might have thought of that. But I did not -- at the cost of much aggravation and many changes of cables.