Strange HR10-250 problem

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by whodat7, Aug 7, 2006.

1. whodat7

whodat7 New Member

Feb 19, 2002

Advertisements

I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with a HR10-250 in my basement that had the #2 dtv tuner go out on it. It was only 9 mo. old (approx) but, whatever, things go bad sometimes. I called cs and they promptly sent out a new receiver and a return tag for the old box.

The new receiver showed up last Monday, I installed it (using all the same cables and cords) and presto everything is back to normal. The unit works perfectly for 3 days, then I go on 4 day weekend vacation. When I get back Sunday night I see that I have no picture or sound on either satellite tuners and the ota tuner will only play for a sec then freeze then play a sec. then freeze ect. ect. If I go to a recording from 2 days earlier it plays fine, though I get a nag message every few seconds about "insert a valid access card" (or similar). If I go to a satellite station and hit the channel banner it does show what is playing on that channel just no a/v. If I hit the guide, it will pull it up for a second, then go back to "live" TV. I did a system test and everything passed. I rebooted, same problems. I checked signal strength and all transponders looked good. All (4) of my other receivers are working perfectly. I even swapped the receiver with one in another location in the house and found that the second receiver works fine in the basement (where my HR10 is normally) but the HR10 still has problems in the other location.

So, I called cs. I explained the situation and her response was to send out a tech for $70! WHAT! My dish is fine, the cables are fine, it's a bad machine! I was (imo justifiably) livid. I have been with Dtv since nearly day 1. I was one of the first to get a new DTivo unit when they became available (in fact that Sony unit still works perfectly this many years later) and I paid over $700 for it when I finally got my new HDTV. I not so politely told her that she can send a tech if she wants but I'm not paying one red cent for her to do it. She had no intention of backing off that charge so I informed her that I would be looking into my local cable companies offerings and the decide whether or not I would pursue this any further.

Am I crazy? This is a HR10 problem, is it not? I don't want to go to cable, but I'm not putting up with this crap! I've replaced 2 bad Hughs sd units and a hard drive in a Philips over the last year and a half (plus the hr10 last week.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. wmschultz

wmschultz New Member

May 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Have you hooked up any of your other units to these two cables that are fed into the HD Tivo?

Is it hooked up to an off air antenna? If so, try disconnecting that and see if it helps.

3. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    If you are certain it's the unit that has the problem, you should probably speak w/their 'tech support,' rather than a regular 'CS rep.' Explain what's going on, and see if you cannot get him to commiserate w/you that it is in fact, the unit that is the problem, and nothing to do with your setup.

Is this your only unit (you mentioned you had a Sony)? If you have another one try swapping them out...then you can tell D* that you've done this and it worked fine...game, set, match -it's the unit!

I know what you mean about paying them, that pisses me off too. I had a 2nd HR10/250 'installed (they dropped it off)' a couple months ago and there were problems right off the bat. They offered to send someone out for $70....even though is was a new install.

Screw that ...I ain't payin'. 9 times out of 10 you get better info/trouble-shooting on this forum than from any D* contracted local.

4. whodat7

whodat7 New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    I actually was speaking to a tech support person. I even told them that I would swap units (I have 5 total) to prove that it was not the location but the equipment and was told that I would have to leave it there for a week in order to prove it was the machine. It was at that point I really became irritated and basically hung up on her. I did go and swap units the next morning, and just as I suspected the other unit worked fine in the "bad" location.

Since I've now waited a couple of days to cool off, I may try and call again tonight to see if I have any better luck.

5. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

Advertisements

Ask for a supervisor, or customer retention and explain what you've done pinpointing the unit.