Strange HD OTA reception problem with HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by uscpsycho, May 21, 2006.

1. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I have an HR10-250 with an OTA antenna connected for OTA HD programming.

All of my local OTA HD channels have good reception on the HR10 with the exception of one channel. When I watch this channel though the HR10 I get a blotchy, blocky mess with no audio. However, the same channel fed into my HDTV's tuner, from the same OTA antenna, has perfect reception. Looks like a nice strong signal on the HDTV.

I'm in L.A. and the channel in question is 13-1. Anyone else in L.A. having trouble with channel 13-1 reception on their HR10? Anyone in L.A. getting 13-1 reception OK?

I have a splitter from the OTA antenna, one split goes to the HR10 and the other goes to my HDTV. So everything is equal for the HR10 tuner and the HDTV tuner, but for some reason the HR10 tuner is having trouble with this channel's signal. This doesn't make sense to me, the channel should look the same on both tuners.

Anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    What is the actual frequency for that channel?

And yes it does happen... different "chipsets" and actual tuners, are more/less sensitive

On my 2-1 (which is VHF-3).

If my Son's computer is plugged in (just plugged in, not even on).

I go from a 75% signal to a fluctuationg from 0%-25%

3. marcello696

marcello696 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Temecula, CA
    13-1 is underpowered and notorious for spotty reception. Im out here in Temecula and my signal can go from 80% to 10 % within a few minutes while all the other LA locals hold steady.

4. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Try reversing the outputs from the splitter to the TV and the HD Tivo. If that fixes the problem the splitter/cable is the problem.

5. kepper

kepper Member

Nov 28, 2003
    southern...

Advertisements

I live in OC about 45 miles from Mt. Wilson and I seem to get 13-1 fine on my HD Tivo. I currently have a signal strength of 85. However, I don't often watch that channel so I can't tell you how solid it is over time.

Channel 13-1 is broadcast on UHF channel 66 and is owned by Fox though it carries UPN programming. It does not have HD capabilities, and since UPN disappears in a few months, I don't think it will get HD equipment in the near future.

Kevin

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
  7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Here's one theory, which is that the tuner in the HR10 is not the greatest. Most HD sets have better tuners that are less likely to present breakup on signals that are a little too high, a little too low, or accompanied by a little too much multipath interference. That could easily be the difference. One of the few good things about the NDS replacement is that it will include the 5th-gen NeXtWave tuner, which is significantly better than anything that came before it regarding multipath rejection.

Signal level is way down on the list of importance for DT, which is a paradigm shift from what we expect for analog TV. Way up on that list is the ratio of good signal to noise and interference, especially to multipath interference.

The solution for your situation is to use a more-directional antenna placed higher, to tip the balance back in your favor. Also, you may need an amp, an attenuator, or both, depending on your scenario, and possibly an FM trap.