Strange CSI Audio Issue

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by janka440, Mar 23, 2006.

1. janka440

janka440 New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    This has been frustrating me for over a week now and I figured someone here may have a suggestion:

SP for CSI on CBS HD East Coast feed (the only network that would grant me a waiver). Regular prime time episodes record great. But when they show the older episodes (with the grey bars on the sides), there's just no audio. I've even seen when there is a commercial on that's not DD right before the show, the audio is fine, then the second the episode starts and my receiver clicks over to DD, the audio disappears.

I can watch and record in Dolby PLII and DD and the receiver switches back and forth just fine (on other HD channels and shows). But only with the old CSI episodes on the CBS HD NYC feed it does this. And better yet, it's only been doing this for a week or 2.

This is driving me crazy. I've checked ever setting on everything that I can think of. I have an HR10-250 connected thru HDMI and optical to a Dennon receiver, wich then feeds thru HDMI to Pioneer plasma. I'll follow up with model numbers, tivo software version, and more details when I get home.

It's just weird that i haven't changed anything and am starting to think it's the channel itself. Sorry about the missing details, but I kinda forgot about this site as it's been a while since I've been hacking the hell out of my sat-t60. I'm at my wits end and figured you guys might have an idea or 2. I did search around a bit and couldn't find anything specifically on this. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    You say a week or two, did this coincide with the start of March Madness?

Are you watching or recording anything else of the same channel?

I'm thinking it has something to do with their metadata encoding, forcing DD5.1 so the games aren't messed up, but other things suffer as a result, and they just aren't aware of the problem.

phox

3. janka440

janka440 New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    OK, i apologize in advance if this has been covered before, BUT, my problem seems not to be limited to just this channel/show. Thank you phox, btw.

I have the HR10-250 connected to my Denon AVR-2805 thru toslink. I also have a digital comcast DVR (damn those D* waivers) connected the same way, and the tivo with HDMI and the comcast through component for video.

A lot of commercials and some shows say DD on the receiver but the sound just drops out, sometimes even between individual commercials. The denon is set to auto detect DD and all of the of the settings aren't any different than they were before this issue began (as far as I can tell). Turning off DD in the tivo settings fixes this issue (as everything is then just Dolby PL). (Or I can also turn off DD on the receiver.) But this really isn't a solution, especially as most of the time the DD works great. Oh and the HR10 isn't the culprit as the HD cable box has the same audio issue...

This might not be the exact correct forum for my issue now, but does anyone out there have the AVR-2805 or similar and had this issue? Is there a setting combination between the tivo and the receiver that I'm missing? I swear nothing's changed and this issue began out of nowhere just a few weeks ago.

TIA