Straightforward swap not working - what am I missing?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by junee, Aug 6, 2007.

1. junee

junee New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Seattle
    Swapped out a single tuner Series 2 with a new DT Series 2. Matched up the cables exactly but still not getting a picture during Guided Setup. Cable box is HD but I'm not ready to buy a HD TiVo. Is there something about the dual tuner that requires a different cable configuration than the single tuner model? I suspect so but am not ready to go all willy nilly while I still have only a small set of variables to mess up. The connection is RF and the wireless is working fine, fwiw.

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Yes, the setup for a DT S2 is different than a ST S2 because you have two tuners now and the DT S2 needs two signal sources (requires a high quality splitter).

Are you following the printed guide for connecting TiVo that came with the DT S2? Click here for detailed instructions.

Also with some cableco systems you will not see a picture when it asks you if you see a picture in guided setup. Just keep saying "yes" and that may do it.

Finally you should have a regular analog/digital STB (set top box), probably not HD (but it sounds like it worked with your old S2?).

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Absolutely noT. The DT does NOT require two signal sources.

and FWIW regarding "requires a high quality splitter" - I have three Tivos and a vcr running off the same cable/wall connection with a couple of $2.00 splitters. No problem.

4. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    You can record 2 sources at once.

2 analog channels, the tivo will take the cable input and split it for you.

1 digital 1 analog
    output from the cable box; the tivo will control the cable box (via direct connection or the IR snap on thing)
    And also requires a splitter for the analog.

5. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    True, but the OP mentioned a "cable box".

For Junee: TiVo only gets one signal from the cable box. To receive a second signal, you need a splitter before the cable box. Route one leg of the splitter to the cable box input, the other to TiVo's RF input. Connect the cable box to the TiVo using the A/V connections (see the diagram in your "Getting Started" flysheet that came with the DT.) You should then see a signal IF your cable provider includes some unencoded, analog channels (ie that can be seen without using a cable box).

6. junee

junee New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Seattle
    Thanks for the replies. Couple of things:

I do have all the set up guides. But the DT Series 2 is being hooked up to a HD cable box. So the diagram examples don't cover my setup exactly.

The old S2 box was cabled by my cable provider with RF from wall to cable box, then RF from cable box to TiVo, then RF from TiVo to TV. Composites go from the cable box to the TV for the HD and digital programming.

I will use it the same way as the ST Series 2 that I just replaced -- for watching and recording analog stations. I switch over to the cable box for watching HD and digital channels.

(I know it's quirky. It's a temporary setup that let me transfer my lifetime membership to a DT TiVo rather than having it stuck on a single tuner TiVo. Later I'll buy a HD TiVo and swap the DT to a different TV.)

If that all makes sense, perhaps someone has additional advice for me. Thanks all!

7. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    An S2 DT does not require two sources but the OP wants to use a STB. I was addressing his post directly.

Glad your $2.00 splitters work for you and your VCR but there is a measurable difference in signal output between low quality and high quality splitters, cables, etc. There are dozens and dozens of posts on that very subject. A borderline signal can ruin a good TiVo experience so why risk it?. Using quality cables, splitters, etc. are worth it.