Storm and now no sound

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by ipodfreek, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ipodfreek

ipodfreek New Member

Sep 23, 2006

Advertisements

My DTivo Series 2 was fine last night. We had an electrical storm, and this morning there is no sound. I rebooted it and still nothing. Everything else on the unit seems fine, just no sound.

Is there a way to add/replace the sound board on these units, or do I need to find a unit sold for parts and replace the motherboard?

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There is no separate sound board, everything is on one board, including any system identity with identifies the TiVo on your account, and locks the drive to that board.

The best you can do is replace your TiVo, or get parts to do board level repairs, if you are sure the Tivo is at fault.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Be sure to check the various audio outputs to see if any of them are working. Do you get any Tivo sound effects, or no audio at all? Also, verify that your TV's audio inputs are working properly.

4. ipodfreek

ipodfreek New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    nope.. nothing.

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan

Advertisements

How is your TiVo connected to the TV/Monitor? How much trouble-shooting have you done?

If you can check the inputs to the TV/Monitor from some other source.

Power off/on the TV/Monitor and TiVo (in that order).

Connect the TiVo to the TV using the RF or Audio/Video which ever you are not using now.

If there is an amp or switch between the TiVo and TV/Monitor try different input.

I would think that if there was a power sag or spike one of the units may be confused reset both. Generally the EMF from a close lighting strike takes out inputs stronger before outputs stronger/closer strikes take out both.

6. ipodfreek

ipodfreek New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Thanks for the help. I finally tracked it down. What was it? I have no idea. ;)