'Stop' function?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Xab, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

Advertisements

I'm coming back to TiVo from a Media Center PC (have a older Toshiba S2 that isn't in use at the moment), so I haven't had much experience with the S3 platform. But one thing that is a bit annoying so far is the lack of a proper 'Stop' button, as in, when I am finished watching TV, I want to just get the TiVo to a neutral screen where there will not be sound coming.

If I hit the TiVo button, it takes me to TiVo Central, but after several minutes, it starts playing a TV channel all by itself. Is there no way to stop this annoying behavior? I want to just have a way to make it stop, not play television, and just relax when I am finished watching TV.

2. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Can't you just turn off the TV?
    Otherwise, you'll have to pause a recording.

I guess what you're really asking is if there's a way to make it not go to live TV after you leave it on a menu, and the answer is no.

3. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The only issue is that I have it running into a speaker system that stays on all the time. So there is basically no way to not make it go to live TV on its own, aside from starting up a random recording, pushing pause, then shutting off the TV?

4. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    That or change the source on your speaker system. Curious as to why you would want to leave the speakers on in the first place if you aren't using them? Just wasting power on your amp that is amping nothing. Or as an old term says "dead silence at high volume". :)

5. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

Advertisements

Do you have a mute button?

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Pause a recording and it will stay paused indefinitely, until you do something else.

7. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah I guess I'll just have to get used to using the mute button before going to bed. Adds an extra step but ah well. Just seems like an odd choice for the TiVo to decide by itself to start playing a random channel when you have it resting in the central menu.

8. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I agree that it should be a user setting to have it time out to live TV or not.

Mute sounds like your best option.

You could also put the TiVo in Standby, but it takes a few keypresses (unless you use something like the TiVo remote PC/iPhone network application, or if you have a way to program a universal remote with the discrete code for it).

9. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    This is most likely done to prevent burn-in on plasmas.

If a user pauses a program, they clearly intend to return to it. The same can't be said for most other actions.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sometimes I'll pause a program and when I come back to that TiVo a day or two later it's still paused.

11. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Or you can just press the Power button on your audio receiver remote.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You could put the TiVo in Standby. There's no button for this on TiVo's own remotes, but there is a discrete code that you can program into a universal remote. (Or, try the software remote in my sig.)

13. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Standby is what you want. My S1 Sony had a "standby" button directly on the remote and I used it often.

14. drey

drey New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    my advice to you would be to get a universal remote (such as Logitech Harmony) where you can do multiple actions with a press of one button. For you case, you can put TiVo in standby, even although it will defeat the purpose of it being DVR.

But as others suggested, what's exactly the reason for leaving your audio system on all the time?

15. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The standby function does not stop the Tivo from recording suggestions or season passes. In fact IIRC it allows the Tivo to change channels without any user intervention!

16. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The standby function does not stop the Tivo from recording suggestions or season passes. In fact it allows the Tivo to change channels without any on screen prompting or timeout.

17. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Good point. Even if the screen stayed at TiVo Central indefinitely it will still switch to Live TV to record scheduled (and other) recordings. That would be a rude awakening at 4:00AM.

Use the mute button or turn off the reciever.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't understand why you would leave the receiver on all the time. That is what a universal remote is for. You could even get one to turn things on at a specific time, or use a timer on the receiver.

19. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Just make sure it's a recording. It you pause liveTV it will unpause after half an hour.