Stop button

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by opus472, Jul 12, 2007.

1. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007

Advertisements

Just started using Tivo, noticed there's no Stop button on the remote, for use when playing back recorded programs. I assume there's some reason for this omission? Must not be necessary?

2. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Not necessary. Hit the tivo button to go to the main menu or left to go back to your last location before hitting play.

3. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Exactly.

What would a stop button do that those buttons don't do already?

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    ...or just hit pause.

5. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007

Advertisements

Ok, I take it this would save the place to continue watching later?

6. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    TiVo will remember where you were and ask you if you want to resume playing next time you select the program from Now Playing.

7. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Does hitting the LiveTV button also provide for stop/resume? Dunno, I guess a stop button is just more intuitive - it's on most other devices, including other DVRs.

8. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Yes

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Actually the STOP button would just add an extra step. Presumably you are stopping in order to do something else (otherwise just use Pause). In that case, just go to wherever you want and Tivo remembers where you were.

10. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks, you're right, just a matter of getting used to this...

11. mikesay98

mikesay98 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I agree, though. When I had my TiVo DVD Recorder S2, when I was done with a show, I pressed the stop button to get the delete prompt near the end. When I switched over, it was quite different not to have that option anymore.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You get the same thing with the Left Scroll button.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    or just hitting Tivo at the end too.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This reminds me of one tip. If you are watching 'live TV' (i.e. not a specific recording), you have to hit pause before you go to the menus, or else you can't easily get back to where you were. That is, if you pause first, you can go to the menus, watch part of something else, etc., and eventually hit Live TV to get back to where you were (presuming you weren't away for over half an hour, or else you'd hit the buffer limit).
    skip to tick doesn't work in live tv on all Tivos.. (I forget if it works on ANY.. but I seem to remember that I can get to the beginning of the buffer a lot faster on my S3.. it's a pain in the !@$ on my S1s).

(Ignore the responses where people will say "why would you ever watch live TV???!?!?!" I generally don't, but I sometimes buffer up CNN for a while near when I'm going to bed so I can use it as background noise, but still FF through the HEAD ON commercials.)

15. mikesay98

mikesay98 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I knew about pressing TiVo so that's what I started to do instead, but I hate having to go straight back to TiVo central instead of the Now Playing List. I'll try that out! :)