Stop adding channels I don't want or get!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by glaviolette, Sep 17, 2009.

1. glaviolette

glaviolette New Member

Nov 12, 2007

Advertisements

First a bit of history..

Ok, I have Comcast here in Portland, OR. I used to have the "Expanded Basic" (Analog), but now after the digital conversion I think I have the "Digital Starter". Oh, and I have a Series 2 DT unit.

Anyhoo.. After the conversion I laboriously setup all the channels I wanted, which takes some time as I have to scroll through the WHOLE list of channels.

Then I come home one day and receive the message that I now have the Jewelry Channel and it adds it to my lineup! NO! I don't want that! :mad:

It only gets worse after that, where I end up finding a whole SLEW of channels added automatically, even HD channels! I don't even have an HD Tivo! Why?

I spent the 15 minutes or so removing them only to randomly finding them returning to the lineup later. :confused:

Thanks all.

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    So why don't you just use the favorites feature?

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Really?

4. glaviolette

glaviolette New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Because it's never been a problem before. But I may have to! :D

No lie!

The only thing I can think of is it thinks I have lineup different from what I actually subscribe to.

Looking at my Cable Lineup in my System Information it shows "Comcast Portland Regional" for both Providers and then "Digital" for the first lineup and then simply "Primary" for the second lineup.

Please don't tell me I need to run the Guided Setup again.. :(

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008

Advertisements

I'm with you glaviolette! Series 1 TiVos just inform you that a new channel is available without adding it automatically, but that changed when the Series 2s came out. I use both channels that I receive and favorites for different purposes, and with 1 S1 & 3 S2DTs I'm constantly tweaking the list. DirecTV changes their lineup so often that it's a real PITA.

I really think the old behaviour made a lot more sense.

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I agree.

I just got a message that BIG10 which I can recieve was gone and NFLBB(?) was added. In spite of the TiVo saying I could, I couldn't watch it.

I guess the NFL will send the Men in Black here shortly to revoke my American Male citizenship papers.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Define a favorites list and use that? TiVo never adds new channels to your favorites list.

8. glaviolette

glaviolette New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    So it's sounding like I need to be using the Favorites then.. :p

Makes me wonder what the value is in Channels List feature then if I can't rely on the changes I make actually sticking!

I'll try the Favorites, but it sounds like I'll continue to receive messages indicating a "Change to my channel lineup" for programming I don't get, like my most recent was for NFL Red Zone! :D

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    That fixes half of the problem (channels you don't get/want showing up in your on screen guide), but it doesn't fix the other half, TiVo's search and wishlists finding things on channels you don't get.

Search & Wishlists always use 'Channels I Receive', and can't be told to just use 'Favorite Channels'.

10. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I've never understood why both Tivo's and the D* DVRs are so terrible with this...

11. jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm very surprised to hear this. I know the TiVo automatically adds new non-pay channels to the list automatically, but I have never experienced (nor even heard of) removed channels returning by themselves. Maybe they were renamed and the TiVo thought they were new.

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Removed channels do not return by themselves.

When removing channels, some TiVo users forget that they have to click OK to save the changes. If you uncheck channels and go back, or uncheck the channels and display liveTV or the TiVo menu, then the changes are not saved.

Removed channels can only return if (a) Tribune completely deletes the channel from the lineup so it no longer appears on the Channel List, and then (b) Tribune re-adds the channel to the lineup so that it re-appears on the Channel List. This is rare; you might see this happen once every two years.

13. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Unless you're using a DTiVo, because DirecTV seems to remove and re-add their shopping and sports channels at least once a month.

It was so nice when I switch to a TiVo HD and FIOS and almost never need to prune out unwanted channels.

14. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Only on DirecTiVo. I always get extra channels on DirecTiVos. I just gave up doing changes because I hardly use my DirecTiVos. But HR2X works just fine and does not screw with my channels selection.

15. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Actually, I was talking about how doing searches looks not only in your favorites, but all the channels you recieve (and on the HR2x, all the channels, including unsubscribed ones)

16. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    With regards to HD channels being included among the added channels, it makes no difference if you don't have a TiVo HD.

If the channel is included on the digital channel lineup offered by your cable provider, then the channel will be included in the lineup TiVo has for your area and provider.

By the way, if you arrange with your cable company to get the HD channels from them (some lower priced cable packages lock them out), you'll get them...

Even if you don't have an HD TV. (Of course, they'll end up being displayed in SD on your set, but they'll be there, provided the cable box can output in SD.)

That's why the HD channels are there. Neither Tribune nor TiVo would likely be interested in creating separate lineups for all the various levels of service available on digital cable.

17. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Thanks. That's what I would have said if my PC hadn't been down for a CPU cooler upgrade.

Sometimes I think the DirecTV engineers just get bored and throw a handful of darts at their lineup chart. Whatever channels get hit, they delete them and put them back somewhere else with a different name. :p

18. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I just wish they would notify you whenever there is a free weekend of showtime, hbo, starz, etc. I usually find out about it when it's almost over.