Stilly Q: Watch recordings on deactivated box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by amseven11, Aug 17, 2014.

1. amseven11

amseven11 New Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Can you watch recorded content on a roamio if it's deactivated?

2. nooneuknow

nooneuknow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Yes, as long as you recorded it while activated.

One potential issue: If your account with TiVo is "In good standing", a deactivated TiVo can "phone home" and will reflect that under System Information. If your account isn't in good standing, I'd imagine any chance a TiVo on that account had to call home, might result in a lockdown state, until the account issue was resolved. Just because a TiVo has no paid service, and is not activated, doesn't mean it won't try to call home, and check the last associated account status (provided it was ever activated). I think one that has never been activated, locks-down, once the "grace period" to activate has expired. It is possible (and common) to have a service-cancelled TiVo, that will say "in good standing", to reflect the account it was last registered to, while it had it's last known service subscription plan.

I've run into some strange issues (not limited to Roamios), where if I recorded a program that was part of a Cox "channel pak", which required more than a digital basic cable TV sub, the recorded content from such channels would claim "it didn't record, due to no signal", even though I had watched that content before. This would happen when I removed and/or deactivated the cablecard that was in the TiVo, when I recorded the content (or if I changed to a different cablecard, than what was in at the time of recording).

Many claim this is impossible, or I'm saying one thing and meaning another. It seems to be some form of content protection, outside of the CCI-byte setting, which would be 0x00 for these "pak" channels. I'd expect something like this on premium content, but not Encore, IFC, etc.

I have had far more issues with losing access to already recorded content from this, than anything to do with TiVo subscription status.

I have to re-record The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, every time I've changed to a different cablecard, or removed it, even with CCI 0x00 (inactive) when recorded.

This behavior began when a certain revision of cablecard firmware rolled, and has persisted for every version after it.

If you are free of this bizarre mechanism, you should be able to view anything recorded while activated, which doesn't have any applicable CCI restrictions.

A question that keeps coming up is if you can fill a Roamio drive, then replace it, fill that one, and so on, then install the prior drives to view their content. I'm not sure if that question has ever been answered, with facts. I think most answers came from those who had never even tried it (both yes & no answers). I think that subject always involved/assumed active service status, with the account "in good standing".

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    TL:DR, nooneuknow's first line is all you need to know.
    Yes, you can play anything that was recorded on the unit before the service was cancelled, even after you cancel the service.

4. DancyMunchkin

DancyMunchkin New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    +1 :)

Talk about the OP asking what time it is and receiving a pedantic tome on how to build a watch.

5. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    I wasn't aware that being thorough, covering variables, and sharing first-hand experience is a crime.

Nearly every attempt I have ever made to give a simple/short YES/NO answer has nearly always resulted in every possible exception being brought to attention, by others, and added more posts from me to defend my answer, as well as just more posts, overall.

If I can cover it all (or nearly all) in one post, I actually save space and time with my more thorough answers.

The fact that I'm not on the Ignore List of those who call me out over my ways of trying to help others, either proves I add value which could be lost if my posts were not visible, or that those who aren't ignoring me, but make snarky/condescending comments on my posts, just enjoy playing games with me (at my expense).

Whatever... I'm getting better at not letting it get to me. I still try to cover all the bases, and share actual experience, rather than just parroting what others have posted before me.

6. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There was no need for a treatise covering all of war and peace for a simple answer to a simple question the OP posted, all you needed to do was stop at your first sentence. Unless of course you follow in the path of Charles Dickens and are paid by the word.. ;)

7. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    If only some monetary reimbursement was involved, especially if per word... ;)

8. amseven11

amseven11 New Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated!

9. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Thank you No-One, I too get criticism for good answers for no reason, please keep giving good answers, plenty of folks just read these forums and like the info. Being a new Roamio user myself, I did not know the answer for it and I've had a Tivo since the series 1. If they don't need the answers they can stop reading them, have they ever thought of that?

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    This could be done, using the same TiVo only, so once you de-activate the TiVo no more recording of new stuff, but you could keep changing drives to watch what on each drive, a pain but whatever floats your boat. If you have say 5 drives full of stuff you want to watch you could almost pay for Lifetime service and not purchase the other 4 drives.

11. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    < sound of nooneuknow fainting > Try telling that to slowbuscuit, my current stalker, and official self-declared decider of relevancy, and what my posts should have said... If only he'd contribute what I should have said, before me. Then, I wouldn't have shouldn't have said it, since it would already have been said, before I got there. Unfortunately I disagree with what he feels I should say, so that won't work, either.

Thanks for the public vote of support. Sorry in advance that you probably tanked your popularity rating by daring to back me up in public. :)

12. heyted

heyted Member

Mar 4, 2012
    South Florida

Is there no island mode with recording ability with these new nifty Roamios? That would make Series 5 the first series that has no units capable of manually recording content without TiVo service.

13. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Wow. Interesting how you pulled that tiny snippet out of a post, out of an obscure Premiere thread, from some time ago, and transplanted it here, as a quote...

Looking to whip up the mess that subject did before, but apply it to the Roamio? Count me out.

Here's the link to the full post, in the originating Premiere thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9693203#post9693203

It doesn't apply at all to this thread, unless you had an unrealistic expectation that TiVo would intentionally incorporate a past mistake into a new design/model. Some people found a loophole with an early shipping version of Premiere software, exploited it, and might still be doing so, if they've kept such units disconnected from the internet all this time. Can this be replicated, with the Roamio? NO, it can't.

14. heyted

heyted Member

Mar 4, 2012
    South Florida
    That is unfortunate if someone has tried, and verified that in cannot. Should TiVo make a Roamio model capable of manually setting automatic recordings without service? Yes!

By the way, I provided the link to the thread in my post above.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Why on earth would Tivo make a unit that brings them no income? That's the most ridiculous suggestion I've seen in ages since they sell the hardware at a loss.

16. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Maybe you have to (re)record it 42 times?

17. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    In that case, I'm half-way there already. ;) You forgot to remind me about always keeping my towel with me, though... Gotta have the towel.

You wouldn't happen to know how I could get my "Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited" replaced, with the old full episodes, would you? I lost those as well. :(

18. heyted

heyted Member

Mar 4, 2012
    South Florida
    It is actually not a ridiculous suggestion to have VCR-style manual recording without TiVo service. TiVo does not have to loose money on the hardware since their service-oriented profit model can be changed. An exception can be made for a single TiVo model for each series going forward. There are plenty of people that would pay a fair price for a TiVo DVR that has very few abilities other than VCR-style recording. The changes to the software would be minimal for the exception TiVo model, and the hardware changes would mean that it could be produced at a lower price. It could be sold for a profit without people having to pay an exorbitant lifetime fee or monthly fees.

This would not degrade the TiVo name since the better models would, of course, still be available and used for marketing. This would increase the popularity of TiVo and lead to higher profits for TiVo.

19. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    It cannot, it has been tested an confirmed time in memorial... And TiVo really has no financial incentive to provide the functionality to you. Period, hard stop.

Wine and complain or buy a TiVo with service...

20. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    The old Toshiba DVD TiVo units had what they called TiVo Basic service that provided this type if free service, with the option to upgrade to full service. It must not have worked well financially for them or you'd think they'd still be doing something like that, no?