1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Using Series 3 HD XL in OTA Mode..Time to Upgrade to Bolt OTA??

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by GeoPro, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018 #1 of 10
    GeoPro

GeoPro New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Hi everyone!

I have a Tivo Series 3 HD XL that I bought in 2/2009. I used it with Cox for a few years until 2013 when the cable cards stopped working in it and Cox refused to find a way to make it work. Then I tried their Contour service with DVR then but it just got to be too expensive (running over $200/mo. in 2013). I lasted about 2 weeks and gave up. I cut the cable and went strictly OTA (5 years running now!) with my TiVo. It still works after all this time. I almost bought a Roamio OTA last year, but decided not to since my Series 3 still worked. I was wondering if it is time to upgrade to a newer model (that email that TiVo sent out the other day got my attention) Any advice? Should I get that Roamio OTA or bump it up to the Bolt OTA? Anyone think that the tuner sensitivity will be an issue ? (I live in Vegas. I have issues with a couple of the lower powered SD sub-stations.)
    Send me your suggestions! Thanks!

George

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. Oct 6, 2018 #2 of 10
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Roamio OTA tuners are as good as it gets since the Series 3 models, but I would move fast. They are down to refurbished models and could run out of stock at any time.

3. Oct 6, 2018 #3 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. Oct 6, 2018 #4 of 10
    GeoPro

GeoPro New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Las Vegas
  5. Oct 6, 2018 #5 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Identical, aside from new vs. refurb, and the BB model coming with a VOX Remote and requisite BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) USB dongle to enable BLE communication.

So it really depends on whether you’d be looking to run the older, traditional UI on the box or the “new experience” UI, with the VOX voice control only being available under the new UI via the VOX Remote.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  6. Oct 7, 2018 #6 of 10
    GeoPro

GeoPro New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Las Vegas
    So the refurbished model would have a different user interface that the VOX model? Are the guts the same between both machines? If so, then the refurb model at $50 less would be better deal.
    As for the Bolt OTA, I read that someone said it was much faster but people are worried about the tuner sensitivity. I live in Vegas and generally get all the channels except for some pixelation on some of the sub-channels after 6pm (weird that the signal degrades at night, not sure if they ramp up the power of the network main channels and lower the others...I don't know.)

So back to my original question: Roamio OTA or Bolt OTA? Worth he extra money for the Bolt or not? I am leaning toward the Roamio OTA VOX from Best Buy at 399 if the software is updated/more current vs the refurbished Roamio from Tivo Outlet.

You can see I have made only 7 posts since 2004. That is because I have rarely had an issue with any of the TiVos I've owned. I have had a Series 1, a Series 2, and since 2009 a Series 3 HD XL.

I think that I am going to order the Best Buy version Monday morning and pick it up that afternoon. If anyone can convince me that a Bolt OTA would be a better deal/machine, hit me with it. :)

George

Bigg likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2018 #7 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Any Roamio or BOLT can run either UI version. They’ll all update to the “new experience” gen4/Hydra UI on initial connection and software update, and then it’s up to the user as to whether to stick with the new UI or revert to the previous, traditional UI.

Just keep in mind that rollback from Hydra/gen4 to the Encore/gen3 UI erases all recordings and settings.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There's nothing wrong with the S3, it just can't do Minis like the Roamio OTA.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    One big risk of staying with the S3 is that they have a higher probability of a power supply failure than the newer models although it can be fixed. If you haven't replaced the original hard drive, then it could fail at any time and need to be replaced.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Do you intend to use apps on the box? If so, they apparently load snappier on the Bolt than the Roamio. That seems to be the "biggest" operational difference between the Roamio OTA and Bolt OTA boxes. And so, the question becomes, is that worth the extra $100 to you. (Well, there are aesthetic differences as well.)

Keep in mind, TiVo has had a Nov. into Dec. holiday season sale the past few years and has had some nice deals. Unknown what, and if, this will be this year. And, as noted above, if any Roamio OTA stock will be around at/by that time.