Still trying to get IR code infor!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dcbag, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Jan 2, 2011 #1 of 11
    dcbag

dcbag New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Below is a few of the comments made tonight in another lost effort in trying to get info on the IR code for the newest TransVideo Skyangel receiver.

Me: Tivo can't change the channels on SA because the IR code for the new receiver is not in Tivo.

Agent: Then we need you to retrieve the code from your provider so we can manually input it into the TiVo box.

Me: Ok, but SA states they have submitted the IR info to Tivo & Tivo must put that info into their data base.

Agent: I do not see it in our IR code matrix. So you will need to get the code so we can manually put it into the TiVo box

Me: This is going round & round, it seems it must be a new code. Who else can I contact in Tivo about this.

Agent: Our "system" with the IR codes is so the TiVo box can automatically select the IR code if the code is not in the system you can manually input it and have it work. In order to manually input it you will need to contact Skyangel and get the code as we have not received it yet.

This does sound about right, but then when I talk to Skyangel they also sound right. Who do I believe? What else can I do to get this information?

2. Jan 3, 2011 #2 of 11
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I think the agent's reply is somewhat misleading. Yes, if you know the EXISTING code number in TiVo's IR database you can enter it using the Advanced option but it still has to be in their database. They have to get their hands on a remote for the new SkyAngel box, analyze it, put it in the database, and update the database on all of the TiVos out there. There's no way to manually input a whole new codeset from your end.

It sounds like SkyAngel is under the impression that they can simply send some kind of magic number to TiVo and that's all they have to do, but it would take a small book describing the exact IR frequency, coding method, and the individual codes for each button on the remote.

If you can get a remote to me somehow I would be happy to capture the necessary codes with my old Pronto learning remote, convert them to TiVo database format, and send them to TiVo. If I post it in the private All-Stars forum over at tivo.com and make a stink maybe it will get some results.

3. Jan 3, 2011 #3 of 11
    dcbag

dcbag New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    That sounds good, but I don't see how I could get another remote since this is such a new product, and the older remotes will not work the new receiver. Any suggestions?

4. Jan 4, 2011 #4 of 11
    ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Not really, unless you can get them to give you another remote or live without yours for a while.

5. Jan 4, 2011 #5 of 11
    dcbag

dcbag New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    could I copy the SA remote to a leaning remote & do the same thing?

6. Jan 4, 2011 #6 of 11
    ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I guess it depends on the learning remote. I can handle just about anything a Pronto can throw out, but when it comes to Logitech Harmony and some other remotes there's no way that I know of to get the raw IR sequence back onto a computer for analysis.

If there's a way to capture what your SA remote sends out in terms of frequency and on-offs in milliseconds I can probably figure it out, but I just don't know. Even with my Prontos I still use my oldest TSU-1000 model for captures because the later versions tried to interpret the IR sequence instead of just giving me the raw data.

7. Jan 4, 2011 #7 of 11
    dcbag

dcbag New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Well about an hour or so ago I got a call from someone with TiVo in Penn. stating my issue had been esculated to him in tech support, and he could not make any promise but he would be working on the issue and would get back to me. Of course due to SA limited hours he couldn't contact them now. At least now someone is involved.

8. dwimmerlaik

dwimmerlaik New Member

May 12, 2006
    When I get my next FTA satellite box can I send you the remote and get it added too?

9. dcbag

dcbag New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Well, since the above time I have had several calls back from TiVo, last week & also the week before, the tech told me he had an appointment with SA the next day, then last week he also added that now that SA had completed their move maybe he could get somewhere.

The rest of the story on the new receiver is I don't believe they are new at all, because if you remove the Neulion sticker it says KY-LIN TV painted on the receiver, also if you look close on the remote you can also see that a name has been taken off.

10. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I'd be happy to try, but I can't guarantee that TiVo will listen. SkyAngel is a fairly big company and I'm actually a bit surprised that it has taken this long to get any action. On the other hand I have never seen FTA mentioned at all by TiVo as something they support. To be on the safe side I would recommend looking for a receiver that uses remote control codes that are already in the IR database. I haven't done any research into FTA but there are already codes for Sony and Viewsat.

11. tjwood

tjwood New Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Has anybody gotten the IR code for this new receiver yet from Sky Angel? I am trying to hold out cancelling my service with Tivo. I have tried all the IR codes that was listed on my Tivo and none worked.