Still have not updated my Tivo Bolt to Hydra—Any reason I should at this point?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by omelet1978, Nov 23, 2018.

1. omelet1978

omelet1978 Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Hi,

So after spending time on this forum researching Hyrda I decided to pass and keep the older software on my Tivo Bolt 1TB which is 2 years old now.

The main reason I did not update was due to the poor reviews and the lack of Live Guide. It appears that through a combination of people getting used to the new interface as well as Tivo ironing out the bugs that it is better than it was...BUT there still is no Live Guide...that’s one of my favorite features of Tivo and why I’m not updating my software.

Any thoughts on this and if the new software is at this point worth losing the Live Guide?

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The question is, is it worth it to you. For me, the answer is that I don't think I would ever voluntarily upgrade to Hydra without a Live Guide option. It's what I've always used and I don't really want to use anything else.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The Live Guide is such an integral part of my Tivo experience since it really is a far better way of looking at upcoming programs that I will not be updating any of the units I have other than the one I updated, it lives a happy little life, but I only access its content via the other TE3 boxes now.

mrsean likes this.
  4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I will not update to Hydra until it gets the Live Guide AND irons out various bugs and I am including here the inability to use PyTivo.

mrsean likes this.
  5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If you are happy, stay where you are.

TE4 does not have some features TE3 did and some are different. There are no real bugs despite what the haters will say. It works. So, pick what you want by features. I never used live guide and the live mini guide is good enough for me. I find TE4 quicker and more intuitive (while I love TiVo overall, I never liked the old interface; I found it cartoonish and inconsistent).

tenthplanet likes this.
  6. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I have not updated my Roamio OTA to Hydra yet. So far nothing I have seen is a convincing reason to do so.

mrsean and unclehonkey like this.
  7. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I say no. But try this before you do.
    Stop using live guide for a while first to see how you like using the grid guide. Also stop using the left arrow to go back and just use the back button. Can you live with this?

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I use both guides about 50-50, so I have extensive experience with both of them. Live guide on my Tivos, Grid guide on my DirecTV Genie (only guide they offer).

Love the Live guide, only tolerate the Grid guide because, well... I don't have a choice.

I'd like to try Hydra, but not ready to give up one of the few things where the TiVo experience excels.

9. quackman

quackman New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I hear Vudu now has HDR on the Tivo Bolt and you have to use Hydra to get HDR. Since I now have a 4K TV and Vudu is my main site where I own movies, this gives me a very good reason to use Hydra.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So by live guide, you guys mean find by time/find by channel, right?

I *USED* to do use those most of the time... but in some release years ago, they made them slightly less useful, but I don't remember exactly why.. Oh, I think one thing being you can't channel up/down when IN a particular program description like I think you could long long ago..

(I still DON'T want to upgrade.. I *like* the mostly consistent left means back UI.. and even though it's never going to happen, I *would* give it a fair few weeks trial if I could go back without losing my programming.. but since i can't, I won't..)

11. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Since you're on a stock hard drive you're safer to upgrade to the new experience. I've heard reports of people with upgraded drives failing who thought because they were onHydra.
    I have x2 bolts. One with stock 500 gig drive with te4. This is my work horse that recordes my cable shows. I love the new update that gave us trick mode with voice control. Now I skip commercials that don't have skip mode by saying "skip 3 minutes" instead of having to press the 30-second skip button six times which is easier for me and faster.
    I have a second lifetime bolt that I don't do any recordings on. It has an upgraded to terabit drive that's on the original TiVo experience. This I'm able to transfer shows to and from my PC with since the new TiVo experience does not allow for this so easily. I also take this TiVo on the road with me to my families house who subscribed to more channels than me and I'm able to transfer shows from their TiVo to mine since both are tivo's are on the same account.
    Both TiVo experiences are nice but the new TiVo experience especially after the recent update I prefer overall. One other thing I don't think has been mentioned here is with the new TiVo experience, at the host DVR you have more access to all tuners on your network that are being used by your Minis vs using old tivo experience.

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No, live guide versus grid guide are the 2 options in TE3 for viewing the guide information. Check the images in this post.

Does Tivo work with Charter cable?

Live guide was the original that TiVo had when the S1's came out but they later licensed and provided the grid guide option as well.

Scott

radiophone likes this.
  13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    oh, awesome.. I guess I must have used that long ago, but didn't remember it.. I use grid guide, since usually I'm only really skimming around primetime for OTA channels... anything else I'm likely searching for by name... and since I have zillions of tuners, I just have OPs for most shows and don't check/verify/manually deal with conflicts as often.

14. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I haven't updated to Hydra yet...and don't really plan to until I start hearing overwhelming feedback that I am crazy not to upgrade... I like the "old" original interface... I find the cartoon like experience fun and engaging... and like others have said, I like the Live Guide... I am NOT a fan of the grid format...

But I do come here every so often to see if there is any change in the sentiment for the move to Hydra... Particularly from those that share my opinion about the old interface and the absence of the Live Guide...

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Hydra Wants You! :D Other than that people's opinions won't change, why not that involves someone saying maybe they were wrong. I would expect that new hardware in the future won't run software before Hydra. Revisit the issue when you need a new box.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  16. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    My friend let me upgrade her Bolt Vox that she's not using back to Hydra so I could check out the improvements. We had originally "downgraded" it right out of the box. God. I just can't get past to how flat, ugly and unfinished looking Hydra is. I can't imagine T3 ever looking so bad. If this is the future, I'm happy staying the past.

17. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    So I know why I want to stay on the "old" software... I know what's holding me back...

Are there compelling reasons to switch to Hydra? The only thing I am familiar with is the voice searching, which seems pretty cool... What are the other driving forces to move to Hydra?

18. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Well a lot depends on how many recordings you have. If you switch back and forth twice (ie go to "Hydra/TE4) then go back to TE3 you will lose recordings. I myself prefer TE3, a lot of the reason is it IS what I am used to. BUT the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. Some people like it, many don't, at least those used to TE3. If no recordings at risk maybe try for awhile, see which you prefer, then just use the one you like the best? TE3 will not be updated much anymore (if at all) and does have a few bugs created by the more recent updates, might or might not get fixed (standby bug)

19. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I have not updated. All I needed to know was that the fonts were smaller in Hydra. How fashionable.