Still getting the hang of DirecTV HiDef

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dtivouser, Oct 21, 2007.

1. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal

Advertisements

Recently upgraded to an HR-20 and hi-def for the very first time.

So DirecTV lit up all these great new channels like TBSHD and SCIFIHD. Does that mean that I can safely take the non-HD equivalents like TBS and SCIFI out of my favorite channels list? In other words, should I rest assured that the -HD channels have the same programming as the non -HD channels? I'm thinking specifically of SCIFIHD, FXHD, TBSHD, etc etc.

I ask because I didn't pick up the new Stargate Atlantis the other day, after recently removing non-HD SCIFI from my favorites. Makes me suspicious.

Dealing with Favorite channel lists is such a pain (Tivo or non-Tivo). I sure wish there were a way to unprogram the "crap" (like spanish and ppv) and keep the real channels.

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    So, like, check the guide and see. These aren't life and death decisions.

Other HR20 talk can be done at dbstalk.com

3. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Wow, Tom, thanks for your post. I'm glad we have you here to help.

4. tfederov

tfederov M GO BLUE!!!

Jul 6, 2003
    Plano, TX
    With the next release you should have the ability to hide the SD equivalent of the HD channel. If you're using favorites, are you sure you had the HD version of SCIFI selected?

5. Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI

Advertisements

You know - that would be a very good question to ask over at dbstalk.com ;)

6. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Maybe Tom should read the sticky that addresses posts like his.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Maybe you should read it to see that isn't what the 'sticky' covers. I did not tell him to "do a search, dummy". I pointed him to the place where he should be posting questions about the HR20 as have many, many, many other similar posts.

8. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    My understanding is that if you record SD from an HD feed it takes up HD disk space, so for me it's better to stick with the option of the SD for SD shows. I don't think much on Sci Fi is showing up as HD yet.

9. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005

Stargate Atlantis was in HD last Friday I believe, I didn't watch it all but it was very sharp.

I just go throught the favories and select List 1 and add the channels that I want to see. A PIA but only took 5 minutes or so (times the three HR20's I have).

BTW, I don't have any problems pointing anyone to dbstalk.com for more detailed info, if done politely - I hate the posts where you're tarred and feathered for even posting about the HR20.

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I guess I could have also told him to check to make sure that his season pass was set up to record Stargate Atlantis on the HD channel and not the SD channel because the HR10 does things by channel .... oh, wait ... he's not talking about the HR10 ...

never mind.

11. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    FWIW, Food Network HD and HGTV-HD have different channel line-ups than the SD versions, and IMO the Food Network HD channel blows for content. Absolutely 100% sucks. The same shows air over and over and over...

12. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Just try recording HD Sci Fi channel on that H10 :)

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If the channel is not a dupe, it is designated as a "-1" subchannel.

You do have to reprogram your season passes for the new channel even if the number is the same. If I read your comment on SG-Atlantis correct, it sounds like you did not retarget it to the HD channel.

14. jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Who cares about Directv HD....the HR20 has nothing to do with tivo or directivo....take this clutter to DBS talk,.

15. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Hey!!!! Let's be a bit more civil.

16. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx

In my humblest opinion, I actually think it does. In spirit and otherwise. Best regards.

17. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    I don't think it will matter. Take CNN HD for exp. Its the same number for SD version. I can't see or record the SD version. If I punch in 202 I get the HD version not matter what.

So any HD channel that shares the same SD number then yes. I did. Now I would change the SP just in case to make sure they are recording the HD version just in case. Then again, how would it recored SD if you can't tune them in?

Post more questions on dbstalk if you need more.

18. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    No.

I don't have an account on dbstalk and I'm not interested in it. I have an account here, have had for years, and there's nothing about my question that's not relevent to the title of this forum topic.

I don't understand the hostility I'm getting on this.

19. badmonkey

badmonkey New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Lehigh...
    The hostility comes from people intent on forcing folks out of this forum. For some reason, this forum has gone from a plact to find helpful info to a place that is hostile to anyone or anything that poses any sort of challenge to TiVo.

I suppose this forum has made it clear that discussion on non-TiVo equipment should be done elsewhere, but that isn't an excuse to be rude to people simply looking for answers.

Related to your original question... When creating a series link, make sure you are selecting the HD version of the channel. Currently, favorites lists are only relevant for what is displayed in the guide. All channels are included in searches.

20. silverstreak

silverstreak New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I'm with you. I can't believe how touchy people get when you discuss anything other than TIVO. We understand this is a TIVO site, and all I have is TIVO. But if we want HD program, we have to make the decision to move to the new unit. Believe me, I am holding out as long as I can. But, I like to borrow from the knowledge of the people on this forum.