1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Debating on a Upgrade to the Bolt...Putting the Cart Before the Horse?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by michael1248, Oct 11, 2018.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I absolutely love my 6 tuner, 1TB Roamio. Of course, I am still watching everything on a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma.

From everything I've read here, a lot of folks say to just stick with the Roamio. The quickness and hardware and not the different right?

Just wondering about those of you who have a 4K TV and also have a Bolt and Roamio...

Was the Bolt worth it?

Does the Bolt's 4K ability really make that much of a difference? (Right now, one can only receive 4K resolution while streaming, correct?)

For those of you who chose the 1 TB memory (all I need) do you miss the 6 tuners?

Thanks!

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just a word on the speed/hardware: yes; they are different, with the Bolt being snappier in some areas. People report this when using the apps, especially when booting an app up. I see it when rebooting the box, with the Bolt being significantly faster. Day-to-day non-app operation I find the same. For me, and given my limited app use, this wouldn't cause me to move to the Bolt.

Rey and NorthAlabama like this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My cable company has four 4k channels in its guide. They have no signal. If they ever get a signal I will think about 4k. I also have a Mini VOX. I am big, really big, on new stuff. But 4k doesn't get me excited. Maybe when my 1080p dies.

I don't have a Bolt. I do not regret that decision.

4. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I have a couple of Bolts, a Roamio Pro that is still being used, along with a Mini VOX and a couple of older Minis. The Roamio is fine to use, the Bolt is a bit faster for things as noted prior. I like having the option to see 4K content, even if only coming from streaming sources, on the 4K TV's that I have in the house so those TVs get the Bolts or the Mini VOX while older TVs get the mini or the Roamio (actually my daughter gets the use of the Roamio so she can record as much content as she wants, and as I think of it, I think she's using the plain Roamio while the Roamio Pro got boxed up and put under the bed in case of an emergency or failure with a bolt).

Were the Bolts worth paying extra to get when I had the Roamios? Tough call for me. I got the first Bolt used from another forum member here or at another site that I sometimes frequent. It was cheap enough total cost to not be too bad and at that point it was the first device that I had that would stream 4K content, or one of the first. That box replaced one of the Roamios (the Pro I think, as I seem to recall having had issues with the Roamio Pro acting up if the drive got too full, suspecting that it had a drive with a bad spot). I intentionally bought a second Bolt because the first was just 4 tuners and I wanted to have at least 6 due to numbers of TVs that were being fed in the household and/or potential conflicts in the recording schedules that everyone had. The last Bolt was a bit spendy to get because it was a top of the line model with All-in service. I debated about going All-in but did it eventually just so I wouldn't get annoyed at the monthly fees that I would have been paying.

I've tended to use the hardware for at least 3 - 4 years per device and eventually I save money with All-in/Lifetime, though again am not a big fan of the upfront cost for that.

I loved the Vox aspect, or should I clarify and say the voice control aspect of having the Bolts vs. the Roamios. You can add the Voice remotes with the Roamios, but then you have to add in the cost to get the voice remotes (which, uh, I did as I bought extra remotes to use with the devices that I have, putting remotes at either end of my living room as an example). Later my friends at Amazon were kind enough to add a voice control for TiVo feature to the Amazon Echo devices that I have, but I have only configured that for one of my TVs/TiVos, and really haven't used that feature much. With that available though, I don't really need the extra Vox remotes and don't think you'd need one to use with a Roamio if you wanted voice operations for same.

Really, in the end it is a case of how much you are willing to spend and what you really expect to get from your purchase. If you don't mind spending the $$ for the Bolt or Bolt+ either is a nice device.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    My 4k TV handles streaming better than my Roamios or my Bolts.

On the positive side, the UI is significantly faster. Even when I want to watch programs on a Roamio I stream the content to a Bolt because the screens are snappier.

The last two Bolts I bought and the one I returned came with Hydra, but I didn't have any problem taking them back to Encore.

Like most cable companies these days Spectrum(TWC) doesn't have any 4k to record, so that's not a benefit at the present time.

It's a big minus for me that the 2.5" HD means that upgrading the hard drive is problematic.

And I've come to believe that the manufacturing quality of the Bolts is inferior to previous TiVos; two out of the three I've purchased had a hardware problem. One had to be returned due to a weak tuner, and the other would not restart immediately after being powered off, not discovered until too late to correct by returning (because I didn't have occasion to power-cycle it). The problems I've had with previous TiVos only happened after years of use, usually hard disk failures but with a couple of capacitor plague victims along the way.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    fredi likes this.
  6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Your 10 year old plasma is 4k?

The faster app loading and UI is nice, but I would not have updated if not one one of those box retirement offers and offsetting the revenue from selling my upgraded roamio.

7. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    No, my 10 year Panasonic plasma is just 1080i capable, but still a fine picture. Just wanting to get ready for the Black Friday and Super Bowl TV sales and looking to upgrade to a 4K with a larger screen. Might even go for the OLED if the price is reasonable.

8. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Thanks so much for taking all that time in writing such a detailed (and helpful!) reply.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The six-tuner Roamio can transcode four mobile device streams while the Bolt can only do two.
    The Roamio can be upgraded to an 8TB drive economically. Larger drives for the Bolt are expensive. and the max size most people use is 3TB.
    The six-tuner Roamio has legacy analog outputs built-in while the Bolt does not have analog output capability.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    krkaufman likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The last I saw, the often-recommended replacement 3TB drive for the Bolt could be found for around $130. Not too bad (although a 3TB drive for the Roamio is less).

11. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I paid $130 for an 8TB WD Easy Store drive last Thanksgiving at Best Buy. It's a white label drive, but someone on Reddit reported it had the same firmware as the Red drive. It's still working in my Roamio OTA.

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's a drive in a backup device, right? If I recall correctly, an issue there was not knowing which bare drive was inside (and WD switched at some point)?

13. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Right. It's a gamble, but you can always reassemble the drive and return it if you don't like what model hard drive is inside.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I have a Roamio and zero interest in upgrading to a Bolt. There are only three real benefits as far as I am aware:
    1. Snappier menus
    2. More responsive/less crashy streaming apps
    3. 4k support in the streaming apps
    These are not worth $250 to me and the voice remote crap is utterly meaningless to me. The regular TV menus don't seem particularly sluggish to me on my Roamio, but the streaming apps are garbage. I just disable the stupid things and use my Roku for apps. The experience is so much better.

I think you're better off keeping the perfectly good Roamio you have and getting a $50 roku or amazon fire stick and just switch inputs when you want to use apps.

15. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Roamio Plus and Minis here with 2 10 yr old Plasmas as well. Not that interested in a Bolt. I just don't see the need. Roamio is snappy enough. I've never found streaming on Tivo to be great so when I stream I just use the AppleTV.

Also I am leery of getting a Bolt with all the changes going on with cabletv tech and the rise of streaming. Would it still be compatible with my cable provider in 5 years? Would I still be on cable?

Rey and mikey1273 like this.
  16. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've got a Bolt, and a 3TB Roamio. Roamio is still my number one.

aaronwt likes this.
  17. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    I have a 4K TV (Hisense 55H9Eplus) a Roamio OTA and LG 4K blue Ray player. the content from the Roamio looks great on the 4k tv, it does some upscaling. I do use the tv's app for Netflix, but for the other apps I use like Plex and Amazon video I just use the TiVo Roamio. the Android Tv OS build in to my set doesn't support Amazon video due to Amazon and Google being in a little fight. I do miss out on 4k content on amazon but I can still see it in 1080 with the TiVo. Also the two companies fight is the reason Google's Youtube isn't on Amazon's Fire Tv devices anymore.

I would say not worth it especially if you have TiVo that came with lifetime service or has an all in subscription at this point but thats my opinion.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Kind of funny, since I do the same thing with my Roamio to my P4.. Though now the P4 has skip mode too.. But I still stream due to convenience AND to sometimes use quick mode on the stream... plus switching remotes is always just a 'bit' different. I get used to whichever one I'm using most and if a show doesn't have skip mode, I seem to get used to exactly how fast I can wham the 30 second skip button on each remote... so going back to a different one is a pain.. (plus of course changing inputs -- yes I currently have them both on one TV)