STILL can't get the good HR10 deal

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by error, Jan 18, 2006.

1. error

error New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Tried for the second time to get a good deal on the HR10-250. I politely pushed and prodded and she even put me on hold for five minutes to see if she could do anything better.

$399 HR10-250 ($599 - $200 instant credit)
    $10 off for 12 months
    $10 off HBO for six months
    3 free months of HD package

Piss poor compared to some of these deals. The chick knew about the forum as soon as I said I had friends and coworkers that had received better deals in the $200 range. She said that most of the posters are not being entirely forthcoming or don't really understand the deal they received.

Soooo, I think my best bet at this point is to pay $479 for a new HR10-250 from an online dealer and then turn in the $200 mail in rebate. That brings it down to $279 and shipping will only be $6.00 this way. At the point of activation, she said I'd still have the programming discounts available. Anybody know of a better deal outside of direct dealing with D*?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The $199 deal is over and gone.

3. cardpetree

cardpetree New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I got my deal last Wednesday, I called 4 times and talked to about 8 different people. They installed it Saturday. What I did was tell them that my cable company was offering free HDDVR, HD Locals, Installation, Internet service and no contract for same monthly payment if I switched over to cable. Witch was all true. I then told the last CSR that I spoke to that they keep transferring me to the wrong department and that she was the 10th rep I had spoken to. Then I said that the CSR that I had spoken to before, that transferred me to the wrong department offered me a FREE HDDVR TIVO and that all I had to do was pay for the machine and send the mail-in rebate back to D* and D* would send me a check for what the machine cost. I insisted that I be transfered to the department that the CSR who was offering me this deal was trying to do in the first place. Eventually the CSR offered me the HDDVR for $399 with a $300 credit. Free Install, free HD for 3 months $10 off premium channels for 6 months, $5 off basic package for 6 months, and free Showtime for 6 months. Now I have been calling about HDDVR's for the past 9 months or since they were $1000 bucks at Best Buy, so don't give up, stay on them. If worse comes to worse you can always cancel for real. All you'd have to do is get the service turned back on in a couple of hours or whenever you wanted. They would not make you sign a new contract.

4. error

error New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    When I told her that about the cable company, she went into a presentation about how cable is analog and gets converted to digital, so the HDTV signal would be degraded...blah blah blah.

I should just have one of you persistent people call in pose as me...

5. Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    How much better a deal do you expect to get? If I follow your math, you'll get it for $99:

$479 HR10-250 ordered online
    -$200 Rebate
    -$120 Programming credit
    -$60 HBO credit

That's a damn good deal. Is it worth the time and effort to save a few more dollars?

6. mig991

mig991 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Baltimore
    I agree with Kevin L. How much is your time worth to you? I personally tried twice and didn't feel slighted by what I got.

HR-10 for $399
    $120 in credit
    Free HD Package for 6 months
    Free OTA Antenna (I know it is crap)
    Free install on dish and inside tech to help program
    Tech also gave me a multi-switch

After researching the HDTV for over a month, and the pros and cons of waiting on the 5LNB I am worn out and I haven't even left the house yet!

As an aside, whoever originally posted that customer retention number is a GOD, that has saved me more time than I can count.

Good Luck to all on their deals.

7. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I tried several times to get better than $399 plus some programming credits. Never could. I went to Comcast. DirecTV didn't care enough to do better than $399.

8. error

error New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    The 479 requires me to go to an online dealer. I'm baffled why DirecTV won't just make the same deal and save me the hassle.

Also, the $120 "programming credit" is actual not for programming, she said they would extend that to me because I mentioned I rely on the cable company for internet access and could receive a discount on the cable modem if I was to get a cable TV package. Others might want to ask for that when negotiating; I had not read where anybody had received that discount yet.

Has anyone personally RECEIVED this $200 mail in rebate for a unit bought on eBay?

9. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Other people have gotten $20/month programming credit for 6 months, which adds up to your $120 programming credit.