Still a newbie question, a how to enable OTA Guide on Bolt - embarrassed but have to ask

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Oaklander, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Oaklander

Oaklander New Member

Mar 23, 2016

Advertisements

Though I bought a 1TB Bolt from Tivo 2+ years ago after much research here and the Tablo community because I thought I would use Comcast and maybe OTA. I even bought a Mohu leaf and hooked it up.

When my 2 year "contract" with Comcast was over the increased it their "standard" price. I will never understand or accept this contract and bizarre standard pricing these cable and Sat guys have. I finally gave up on Comcast and canceled. So I did a new somewhat extensive search on the streaming broadcasters who allowed FF on commercials. It seems only the Playstation Vue is an option. And most of them have cloud DVRs and don't allow Tivo DVR as an option. Depressing.

So now I have the OTA working but am lost on how to set up the Bolt to access the 2 week program guide and schedule a few shows from the available 4, 5 channels, i.e CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and PBS.

If I remove the Comcast Cable card will it all work magically? I can't seem to find any information on the Tivo site and a goog search yielded only the cable mode stuff. So I am assuming its simple but as I said, I have not done any OTA recordings yet...does anybody have the answer? I would greatly appreciate the help. Gary

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Shutdown, remove CableCARD

Startup

Settings->Help->Reset to Defaults->Repeat Guided Setup

Follow instructions

Enter your zip code

Select the appropriate OTA guide

Oaklander likes this.
  3. Oaklander

Oaklander New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Thank you sfhub, very much appreciate yr speedy reply.

I'll be back soon:) for when I start the upgrade of the HD, I am still lurking on those threads. I was going to do that but got distracted by the pros/cons of various drives...but after having swapped out the hard drives for SSDs in my Toshiba and Dell laptops I am a bit more confident of cracking open the Bolt.

4. sac602

sac602 New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    This. Just set up a Bolt from a premiere. Im solely OTA for about 5 years. in the setup, you have to pick cable card OR OTA. You need to reset that setting. Unplug. go through setup. This includes putting in zip code and that triggers downloading the programming info. perfect for cable cutters if you add amazon prime video, netflix and hbo now (through amazon video channels). all the current shows. with a lifetime on the tivo, it is about $25/month for pretty much anything you want to watch. Only downside to this is Monday night football is only on espn or WatchESPN app, which requires a cable subscription. luckily parents let me use their cable credentials for that app (and you need a roku for that; no WATCHESPN app in Bolt). good luck