Steps in signing up with DirecTV w/tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ducker, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    So I found/purchased a good tivo unit on Ebay .

and I plan on contacting directv to sign up.
    Should I wait for the tivo dvr to show up before I sign up?

The problem is when I go to fill out the form online and sign up for DVR plus, I have to get a DVR; as soon as I take off the DVR it drops me down the Choice Extra. (I plan on using the new Tivo plus a standard receiver)

So I'm guessing I should call to sign up. instead - but then I assume I'd need to have my TiVo unit.

Finally... I got the RID of that unit from the pictures and called up. DirecTV said that the unit was activated on an account but they couldn't give me any other information other then that. I was a little bit frustrated, so I guess I will have to get a new access card.

Will DirecTV supply a new Access Card for the Tivo unit since I'm a new customer, or am I out of luck and have to shell out another $20 for a new access card.

Thanks for any/all feedback guys!

-Mike

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You'll have to call and have the unit available to activate it. They will probably try to make you pay for an access card, but you may be able to convince them otherwise.

3. landshark21

landshark21 New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    North...

Everytime I have activated a new TiVo unit I have just had one of my existing cards to the new unit.

4. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    You will not be able to activate the receiver - PERIOD. It's on someone else's account. RID = Receiver ID. It's not something that can be changed, so no amount of new access cards will help. The RID will have to be deactivated before it can be activated on a new account.

This is a common problem with ebay'd units... people sell systems with an outstanding balance -- sometimes that they don't even own -- which means they can never be reactivated.

That aside, always have the hardware in hand when activating it. Never go by pictures on eBay. That picture might be glued to 30 auctions.

5. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    yea I hear you.. with over 200 positive transactions I'm fairly sure that this person is going to work with me in completing a successful transactions - it's not one of those many auctions out there of some clearing house that unloads machine after machine and doesn't care.

I'm more concerned about the machine being used prior to me getting it. I payed for a "new one" I want a "new one" otherwise I'll wait for a cheaper one that's flagged as used.

Landshark: Hm, I don't have a service yet... so - I don't have any cards to move... BUT; I suppose I could something similar. have them install their DirectTV DVR unit, and once I get my DirecTV TiVo just call them up and transfer over the card... since the DirecTV DVR is now free with rebate...

Hm, yea.... and then I could move the DirecTV DVR to my other TV if I want to... yea that would work :D so I'd have 2 dvr's in the house. I was originally going to use my Series 2 SA lifetime DVR on my 2nd TV with a standard receiver, but I suppose I could try their DVR for the heck of it.

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    All the Current Owner has to do is remove the unit from their account. It is a simple phone call.

As long as there are no outstanding PPV charges on a unit, then Directv will activate the unit. It is not so much an Account Balance as such.

7. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    sweeeet... I'm all set. set up the install and everything. :D I don't have the directv tivo unit yet, but I'll get hooked up with one of their units, and a standard unit, and then switch over the standard unit once I get the huges :)

woooo
    looking forward to my first trip in to satellite!