Stephen Colbert vs. Sir Richard Branson

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by getreal, Aug 13, 2007.

1. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth

Advertisements

Richard Branson dumps water on Stephen Colbert
    Speculation was that the episode would never make the air, but it is now scheduled to run in its entirety on the August 22nd broadcast.

2. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    You might want to check the thread posting rules here. Specifically:

3. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That is a little extreme it probably should just be moved to the season pass alerts forum.

4. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    Agreed, I think it's just a heads up that a show people did not expect to be aired was going to be aired. I'm actually glad it ended up here instead of alerts, I don't check the alerts with any regularity, (which I probably should.)

5. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth

Advertisements

Well, I was just reading about the Branson-Colbert confrontation on some other websites and thought I'd see what others thought about it, so I'm not really discussing the entire SHOW as it hasn't been all taped yet, but just the celebrity interview segment.

I'll change the thread title to appear less like an EPISODE discussion, and more of a discussion of the CONTROVERSY.

6. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I appreciate the heads up getreal...I am making sure I get it recorded.

7. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Of course this fits here. This is general discussion about an incident on an upcoming show, not an episode specific discussion about the entire episode.

Colbert bugs me, by the way. I can't figure out what the guests think of him.

And oh, does anyone think this was unscripted? :confused: He just happened to have a bucket of water there? From the descriptions it doesn't sound unscripted at all.

8. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    To be fair, the original thread title was worded as if it was a Spoilered discussion of the specific (albeit future) episode, so the new thread title more appropriately reflects the original intent of the discussion.

BTW, since you mentioned that Colbert bugs you, I thought I'd point out that he is actually playing a character who happens to share his same name.

Check out the backstage video of Sen. Kerry, who is delighted to discover “out-of-character Stephen” backstage – ("You know I play an idiot, right?" )

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought only the "better know a district" (434 part series) were pre-taped.. hmm..

how many of the interviews are pretaped?

10. WordsWithGrace

WordsWithGrace Colbert University

Aug 17, 2007
    San Francisco
    Hello TiVo Community -- getreal, thanks for linking to Colbert University for the Kerry backstage video!

You can read the original version of the Branson story at No Fact Zone, the CNN of the Colbertosphere, where it was posted on August 10 and then picked up by MediaBistro and others. (As a newbie here, I can't post URLs, but you can google No Fact Zone and then enter berserk in the Search box at NFZ to find the original August 10 post.)

The story has gotten quite exaggerated as it's passed from medium to medium. Stephen does not, in fact, have a bucket of water with him on the set. :) What he actually retaliated with was a bottle of Poland Spring water, which was given to him by co-exec producer Allison Silverman when he "signaled for ammunition," after an irritated Branson threw his mug of water in Stephen's face.

As for pre-taping, mattack, you're right that normally only BKADs are pre-taped. I'd guess they were planning to splice Branson's August 7 interview footage together with scenes of Stephen at the August 8 launch of Virgin's plane named for him. But on August 8 Branson would have been on the plane's maiden flight from NY to San Francisco, so Stephen would have had to tape the interview the day before. Just my guess.

Anyway, set your TiVos for Aug. 22, when the whole thing will air in full! It's sure to be interesting.

11. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Just a reminder that the Branson interview airs TONIGHT.

12. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I loved how Colbert the other night refused to talk about the incident. :D

13. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    And the graphics they came up with to promote the interview.

The Branson-Colbert Interview Trainwreck!

"Oh, the madness!" :D

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Well, now that the interview has been aired, I thought that all the hype was funnier than the interview. It all seemed to be taken in a good-hearted way. The audience member who started the blog about the interview after it was taped one or two weeks ago said that it was an "uncomfortable" interview, and there was tension in the air from Colbert's staff. That sure didn't come across for me after viewing the tape last night.

I understand that Colbert didn't have another suit to change into for his next interview, and that they had to blow-dry him before continuing taping.

Loved the hype. Enjoyed the interview. They both got a good soaking, which was probably good for both of their egos, and there sure does not appear to be any inkling of hard feelings between Branson and Colbert.

15. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    I do think that Branson was genuinely annoyed that he didn't get enough of a chance to pitch his airline. Still, the best part of the interview wasn't the rather tepid water fight, but the week of hype that preceded it.

16. Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA
    It seemed to me that Branson's people had probably briefed him on what the show was about, and he didn't quite get it - he was trying a little too hard to be funny and/or provocative. Like when he threw the water.

So it did have an uncomfortable feel - not because Colbert was upset with the water throwing, but because Branson was so uncomfortable trying to be funny.

17. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I don't know what Branson was complaining about. Unless you have a book to plug and talk about, no interviewer outside of an infomercial is going to be able to fill six minutes with product placement for the thing you're trying to shill for. Nobody would want to watch that, either.

I'm glad Colbert played up the hype... That was indeed more amusing than the interview itself. I think the only person that was uncomfortable was Branson, and I have to wonder if what set this off was some sort of guerrilla marketing campaign.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I haven't watched it yet, but I'm glad I saw this thread. I've always got the most recent 5 eps on my TiVo so I'll have to check it out tonight.

19. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yeah, to me it was cringe-inducing in much the same way as the original UK version of The Office, with that gratingly smarmy boss character.

20. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    :D That is such a good analogy! That's how I felt while watching it. Of course, that's how I feel watching pretty much any Colbert interview. I didn't think this was any more or less uncomfortable than they normally are.

And what the hell was Branson talking about - pretty much the entire interview was about that airline, it seemed to me.