steering recordings into folders

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gteague, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    for some reason with my new elite and new software version, i seem to have problems with recorded shows not ending up in the associated folders. the problem seems to be more acute with movies than tv episodes.

i've gone directly into the wishlist item and selected the recording and i've tried going into the season pass listing 'upcoming showings' and selecting the recording from there and in both cases the movie still shows up in the general todo list and not the folder. i always thought that if you selected the recording from within the wishlist or sp item that the recording would go into that folder. i do notice that automatically selected items have a star or a double-check, whereas my manually selected recordings have a single check mark.

thanks,

/guy

2. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    no tips from anyone on this subject? if tivo is going to let me record hundreds of shows, they are going to have to provide directory organizing tools. i have several season passes based on categories and the recorded shows don't always go into the corresponding folders--they just spew out loose and then there's no way to corral them again.

i've tried deleting the recording that escaped the folder and going into the wishlist upcoming search or the season pass upcoming search and recording from there, but that doesn't always work either. and worse, i tried that method to re-record a show hoping i could coax it into the right folder and the damm tivo opened a duplicate folder with that one item in it, completely ignoring the existing folder that already had a dozen items in it. now i'm screwed, i'm too anal to allow two folders with the same name to exist, but if i delete it from the bogus folder it will be deleted from the correct folder. perhaps is it that i need to allow for duplicates instead of just repeats? if that's the case i'd spend a lot of time clearing out unwanted items.

please tivo, i beg of you to allow some user control over folders--it's causing me much anxiety and stress.

/guy

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm not exactly clear on what you're describing with regards to duplicate folders and shows not grouping properly. Maybe some screenshots would help?

Shows recorded by a Season Pass should always group into a folder by themselves. TiVo uses the Guide Data to determine how to group these shows. Back in the day, if a show no longer appeared in the Guide data, it wouldn't group properly (I haven't seen this happen recently on my Premiere so I'm not certain if this is still true).

WishLists and Guru Guides are a bit different. Shows recorded by an ARWL will appear in the WishList folder and separately in My Shows (the HD Recordings folder behaves the same way). And you're right, it's just one recording so if you delete the one in the folder, the other one outside the folder is gone too. The same thing also happens with downloaded Amazon content.

TiVo just doesn't have the level of user-controlled folder organizing you're looking for at this time ...