Steambaby HD Menus

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tomm1079, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 #1 of 10
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    The streambaby thread is huge and i tried to search it (no luck). Anybody update Streambaby lately to use menus closer to the HD menus? I know its not super important but it would be kinda nice.

2. May 7, 2011 #2 of 10
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You might pop over to the HME developer thread and look at vidmgr for pytivo. Present nice HD menus with cover art etc and transfers to your tivo immeadiatly for instant playback. No more rebuffering either. Wife and I never liked/used streambaby due to its limitations but use vidmgr all the time now.

3. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    not to bump an old thread but i am a fan of streaming. Not a huge fan of doing the transfer.

4. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    vidmgr is a transfer solution to be sure but it accomplishes what you are trying to do with streambaby and cannot. HD menues with cover art and discriptions, immeadiate availabilty from your server in full HD. IE you can start playing the HD vid as soon as the transfer starts as it transfers far faster than real time. FF and REW also work well and there is no stop for rebuffering.

My wife would never use streambaby for all its issues. Vidmgr with a few tweeks on my part for titles and backgrounds and she uses it all the time for content on our server. You really should give it a try.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Does the "faster than real time" apply to Series 3 TiVo's or just Premiere?

6. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Both, but the Premiere is MUCH faster than real time (about 75 Mbps) where the Series 3 units work out to about 2x. Either way, once you request the video, you can begin playing almost immeadiatly. Usually as fast as you can work the menu.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I have to dispute this. I just set up vidmgr and transferred a 720p video. It's no faster than a pull or an ordinary push. I fail to see how it could be, unless perhaps the video is ordinarily transcoded during a pull.

I also have to categorically dispute the notion the video is necessarily available immediately. In the push I just described, the TiVo prevented the user from playing the video for several minutes until it believed enough video had transferred to prevent the user from incurring any pauses. I have never encountered any such thing during a pull, although admittedly immediately viewing the video in question would have resulted in several pauses during playback.

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    When you direct someone to "pop over to" a thread, it would be nice if you provided a link. This thread in particular is a bit hard to find.

9. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You are correct that the push will occur at the SAME speed as any other push. If it is not FAR faster than real time on a Tivo Premiere then something is wrong with the file for use with tivo. Even on a TivoHD 720p video in correctly formatted mp4 files should transfer at 15 or so mbit/s which SHOULD be about 2x real time. If not for you then perhaps this is just an area where the Premiere really does offer functionality the TivoHD may not.

I will provide a link the next time I refer someone to the thread.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I never said it was a Premier. I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone purchase a PRemier at this time, the faster networking notwithstanding.

I never said it was a THD, either. The test bed I used was an S3. Had I used my THD for the test, it would have been somewhat slower still.

I never said it was mp4, either. Indeed, if you will re-read my post, you will see I implied the mp4 was specifically excluded, because the comparison pull was not transcoded.

Thanks!