Station changed frequency, TiVo guide did not!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by johnfasc, Apr 16, 2018.

1. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    So one local station changed frequency (ch 4 wibv). I rescanned for new stations and rescanned again to make sure the guide was correct. The new and old appeared on my channel lineup. So I checked the station in my lineup and proceeded to tune it in. No luck. Then I rechecked both old and new on the guide but still nothing. So I restarted the TiVo and did a scan again. This time the station came on air but....only if I hit the channel up button after already being tuned to it, as the screen was black with no broadcast on the tv. So now in order to watch that station I have to find it on the guide, hit select, then up channel. What? I played with checking and unchecking both the stations involved, 4.1....and 4.2 a sub station but still no good. My TiVo just recently updated to 21.7.2.RC19. Could that be responsible? Fortunately only that station is screwed up. And actually I have never had an issue with this new, or my older OTA Roamio.

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    It is not the software release. This is simply a very common issue where the station moves and TiVo does not change their lineup to match. UNFORTUNATELY, many of us have found that it takes MANY MONTHS of fighting, swearing, and pain to finally get those bozos to give a crap and make the needed changes. Nothing will happen at all until you start complaining to them. I wish you the best of luck in getting a swift resolution.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Google is your friend:
    Spectrum reallocation
    On April 14, 2017, WIVB announced that it had sold its spectrum in the FCC's Broadcast incentive auction and that it would no longer broadcast on UHF channel 39. The station's programming would be unaffected, as WIVB will share UHF channel 32 with sister station WNLO while holding a separate license; WIVB will continue to remap to virtual channel 4.1. The change took effect April 16, 2018.

Because WNLO's broadcast signal is centered further north than the former WIVB-TV Tower that was in Colden, the move further deteriorated reception of the channel in the western Southern Tier, where it had already been marginalized after the first digital transition and move to UHF.

You can tell TiVo -> Report a Lineup Issue then light a candle.

videobruce likes this.
  4. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Oh I knew about all the announced changes as it was advertised on tv, in the newspaper ad nauseum. But what I don't get is why when I tune in the supposed channel, in this case 4.1, I get a black screen, when I hit channel up, the station comes in? Strange!?! Just wondering if anyone has had this happen.
    Yes I did light a candle....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  6. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
  7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While TiVo does know sub-channels, it gets the primary channel from your zipcode and a channel scan. The guide doesn't care.

Also -> AntennaWeb - FCC Repack Information

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  8. Kbd08

Kbd08 New Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Hello all!
    I am having same issue with WIVB Channel 4 changing frequency. I had a messaging Conversation with TiVo Customer Service yesterday, after I had rescanned my TiVo from the day before. He had me unplug it, then do another Forced Connection and of course nothing!
    We are very disgusted at this point as most of the shows we watch and DVR in this household are of course on Channel 4. We have hit the record button as the shows come on but it FAKE records from the old Frequency Channel 4, which I to have tried to delete but its still there!
    I emailed our local TV station Channel 4 last night and I am hoping to hear back from them on a response to this issue.
    I would like to know if this is Channel 4's issue, a TiVo issue or FCC, maybe all of the above.
    In the mean time, I am going on for the 4th day to Google search any information possible about this issue as well as I will be calling TiVo's customer service today because that is what TiVo Customer Service chat told me to try next if we still don't have Guide info and recording today, which we do not.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Post 3 seems to make me vote that it's a TiVo issue.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll wager that your kitchen TV doesn't have a TiVo guide. Usually these problems are associated with duplicate entries in the channel list.

11. Kbd08

Kbd08 New Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Called TiVo customer Service and they are filing a case in order to take care of the situation, sooooo we will see.
    She asked me to Go the the new Channel 4 station and then click TiVo, go to settings & messages, then click on help, then click Account & System info, then clicked diagnostics to give her the Frequency# and Modulation # in order for them to have the info to try to fix the issue on there end, then staying on the new Channel 4 she also had me go back to Setting & messages, click on channel settings, then click Antenna Signal Strength, then click OK run the test... which gave a Signal Strength Meter- Antenna bar and that gave me a Frequency# but it said 0 and Peak:0 No Digital Signal. So TiVo has all the information for my case file now, she said I should get an Email in 5 to 7 business days on what is being done.
    Fingers crossed.
    I think if enough people call them they will get the ball rolling, STRENGTH IN NUMBERS I always say.

videobruce likes this.
  12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I hope she asked for the Program Number. That's the sub-channel.

13. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004
    TiVo needs to get a handle on this issue and get proactive about dealing with it rather than waiting for each customer complaint. There are going to be hundreds of OTA stations changing frequencies in the coming months. TiVo_Ted

videobruce and NorthAlabama like this.
  14. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    So just got a next day return email from TiVo channel linep Dept. Asking for....channel numbers and call letters displayed on the tv banner, .the correct name for the station, and if OTA, (I am OTA only) the frequency number found in the antenna signal strength meter screen. Sent that all to them. We'll see what happens from here.
    And I too tried recording a show on channel 4...got nothing.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    From Wikipedia:

Spectrum reallocation
    On April 14, 2017, WIVB announced that it had sold its spectrum in the FCC's Broadcast incentive auction and that it would no longer broadcast on UHF channel 39. The station's programming would be unaffected, as WIVB will share UHF channel 32 with sister station WNLO while holding a separate license; WIVB will continue to remap to virtual channel 4.1.[11] The change took effect April 16, 2018.[12]

Because WNLO's broadcast signal is centered further north than the former WIVB-TV Tower that was in Colden, the move further deteriorated reception of the channel in the western Southern Tier, where it had already been marginalized after the first digital transition and move to UHF.[13]

Tivo basically needs the broadcast channel of UHF 32 and the PSIP numbers of 4.1 (WIVB-HD) and 4.3 (LAFF).

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Post 3 but I left off the footnotes. :)

17. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    So today I get this email.....
    Thank you for contacting TiVo’s Channel Lineup Department. We have assigned Case Number 07867995 to your TiVo issue. Please contact our Technical Support Team at 877-367-8486 with your Case Number and one of our qualified agents will be happy to assist you. Thank you!
    This being the third email. Apparently they do not have the issue of frequency change under control yet. I will call them to see what they do/say or if they can actually solve this.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You should watch the ticket in My Support on your account. Most are closed without any action. Then you get an email asking how well they did.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  19. Mikeydxer

Mikeydxer New Member

Apr 19, 2018
    What does "resolution sent" mean in my account under support? Anyone know???

20. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    That means nothing has been done to fix the issue! A resolution may have been given, like in my case, but it does not fix the problem. I was on the phone for 45 minutes today. First she went through the basics, like see if the proper channels are checked. Then did a channel rescan. Then force quit and restart the TiVo. Then recheck the channels. Do another force quit and restart....etc. then she told me I should 1- do a new channel scan 2-unplug Tivo, restart and see if that fixed it. Of course is did not. 3-then she told me to do that same thing 5 more times????? Then it should be corrected. If not call us back!!
    So I know there are a lot smarter people on this blog than working for TiVo. Does anyone have any idea on why this simple or not, frequency change could reak havoc as it is. What happens when many stations do this? Are we out of luck? Or is there a simple fix like getting rid of the TiVo guide? My TV's without a TiVo have no such problem.