Static on HDMI port after thunderstorm

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by StringFellow, Sep 25, 2011.

1. StringFellow

StringFellow New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Recently we had a bad thunderstorm go through and since then the HDMI port on our TiVo HD has had static on it since that day. The static occurs from the first display that appears on boot up all the way to include regular tv channels (all of them). I have switched to component cables (which fixed the problem), but I wanted to know if there was a fix for the HDMI port?

BTW, who ever invented HDMI connectors was an idiot. Fragile connectors (both male and female) and a perception that you have to buy expensive cables to make your devices communicate correctly! I can't tell you how many HDMI connectors I have damaged when moving devices. I sure hope the component connectors on AV equipment are around until a replacement for HDMI is commonplace.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Reboot the Tivo and unplug the TV for 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, then try a different HDMI cable. If that doesn't help, then try the Tivo on a different TV to rule out an issue with the TV.

I like to unplug the cables before moving an electronic component.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's the deity's way of telling you that HDMI/HDCP is the instrument of the guy from the hot place.

You don't even want to know how horrible the replacement for HDMI is going to be, so let's just say it'll have a slot for your credit card and will only work it it gets a constant stream of permission over the internet.