Static on files from PC to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by csdiver, Aug 22, 2007.

1. csdiver

csdiver New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I recently upgraded to TIVO Desktop 2.5 Plus. I am able to transfer files to the Tivo over the wireless network. However, there is a pretty bad static on the recordings which is not present on the PC. Has anyone seen this?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are you talking about the static line across the top edge of the recording? If so that should not be there if you paid for the Plus upgrade. The Plus upgrade includes filters which are designed to crop off the top few pixels of the recording to eliminate that static.

Dan

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That's what I thought he was referring to originally as well, but he's talking about transferring a recording from his PC back to his TiVo and there's some sort of static in the playback on the TiVo. :confused:

To the OP: what kind of files are you sending back to your TiVo?

4. csdiver

csdiver New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hi:

Not a static line, but the audio has static on it. I was transfering a movie that was a .mp4 file that i made with tv harmony for the Ipod from a DVD. There is no static on the movie itslef when played on the IPOD or PC.

Thanks!

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sounds like a problem with the audio codec when TiVo Desktop converted the MPEG-4 file into MPEG-2 for the TiVo.

I'll defer to Dan on this ... he's the expert. ;)

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hmmm.. Actually for .mp4 files TiVo uses QuickTime for transcoding, so it can't be a codec issue because, unlike Windows Media Player, QuickTime does all it's decoding using internal code and not third party codecs. When you play it on the PC are you using QuickTime to play it? Or Windows Media Player? If you're using WMP try playing it in QuickTime and see if the static is present. If it is then it's probably using an audio format that is incompatible with QuickTime. QuickTime is a little finicky when it comes to audio/video formats, so if it's using something odd like a lower KHz rating, or VBR MP3 encoding, then QuickTime may choke on it.

If this is the issue then you may want to just try using something Videora to transcode it to MPEG2 first. It has a little better support for odd formats then QuickTime so you probably wont run into the same issue.

Dan