State of TiVo Android Apps?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Nov 17, 2011.

1. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Hello All,

I keep thinking I would like to buy an Android tablet to play with and would like it to be able to access/control my Premiere if I get one.

Can anyone tell me if the new Kindle Fire or Nook tablet can run existing Android third party TiVo Apps?

Where are we with an Official TiVo Android app? Will it be able to run on either the Kindle Fire or Nook tablet?

Anyone have any other low cost Android tablet recommendation that work well with apps for TiVo?

Thanks,

2. almostinsane

almostinsane New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    What are the existing Android apps?

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The Fire can only run apps that are in the Amazon App store. It doesn't have access to the Android Market.

I have no idea if they have any existing remote apps. I imagine the hardware can run it without an issue.

4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The Nook Color and the Kindle Fire does NOT have the "With Google" stuff which include access to the Marketplace. If there are TiVo apps in the Marketplace, you cannot get them without a bit of work. I'm not sure if either has access to adb to let you install Android apps via sideloading.

The only tablets that have the "With Google" stuff are the ones running Android 3.x (Honeycomb) - if it runs 2.3, there's a good chance it won't have it.

5. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    The only one I'm familiar with in the Market is Tivo Commander which claims to be a clone of the iPhone/Ipad Tivo app. It's free and somewhat useful so I use it. There is discussion elsewhere in the forums about Android apps in development.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There are at least two others that use the older network remote interface (and thus will work with Series 3).

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Thanks for the responses. So at this point neither the Kindle Fire or new Nook Tablet will work with any of the existing third party TiVo android apps? That kind of sucks and really kind kills buying either device for me.

If anyone else knows anything about the Kindle Fire or new Nook Tablet and apps that work with TiVo please post.

Thanks again,

8. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, they MAY work.

You have a few problems to overcome.

1) Obtaining the app. As neither the Fire nor the Nook come "with Google" they do not have access to the Google marketplace. Apps that are exclusive to the Market can therefore not be installed without some trickery. I.e., you need another Android device "with Google" that's rooted.

2) App compatibility. As part of the "with Google" requirements, all "with Google" Android devices are required to pass CTS (Compatibility Test Suite) which assures that apps for that Android version will work on that device. As both the Fire and Nook run Android Open Source Project (AOSP, in contrast with Android itself), they do not have to pass this requirement.

Of this #2 is the least worry - about the only issues you might come into are screen resolution ones. As they both run apps themselves, there's no reason why they shouldn't work unless some critical API has to be re-tweaked for each device (Amazon and B&N vet apps before putting them up for sale).

#1 is your biggest problem, and has been for all AOSP devices. Now, you're in partial luck, as I believe the Market has been pirated for both devices, so if you're up to installing hopefully-unadulterated APKs (you never can tell, unfortunately, if they've been modified) and reading through forums for the subject, then you should be able to take either, root them and have the market up in under an hour, and controlling your TiVo a few minutes after that.

Of course, if you have a rooted Android device already with the market, then all you do is transfer the APK from that to your rooted Fire/Nook.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    is there a cost to the dev to get an app in the amazon app store? if no then why not just ask the dev to upload it there also?

10. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    There are a couple of other android tablets that are similar pricing to the Nook Tablet & Kindle fire that have Android Market access. The Lenovo A1 is $229 right now (it was $199 a few weeks ago) and has Android Market access. In addition the Kobo Vox is $199 and has Android Market access. The Tivo apps should work fine on those.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    If brand name isn't important theres probably tablets that can side load the apps for under 100...

12. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Better check on the Vox. Last I checked it didn't have Market access.

It has a market "app" but it just takes you to a special GetJar page.

But there are a few Acer and Asus 7" tablets around the $300 price range. And there will be a bunch of black friday sales on tablets as well.

Some of the later Archos tablets DO have Market access, but be careful because they used to ship with just AppsLib.

13. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    None worth owning. The entry point for a full android tablet is between 300 and 400. Anything below that is going to be old hardware and frustrating to use so spend the extra and get a good tablet.

The fire is a media consumption device. Yes, you can root it and run custom roms (coming soon, I am sure) and make it do other stuff, but at that point, spend the extra 100-200 and get a full tablet with a camera and light sensor and 10'' size.

14. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    You are right. I was basing my market comment on this engadget post:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/kobo-quietly-launches-vox-android-tablet-with-7-inch-display-gi/

Which says it does have Market access, but that is apparently wrong.

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

Myself- I'd agree (I have a xoom and my kids have a transformer)- even more so since black Friday you can apparently get a 10 inch current tablet in the 200-250 range. (I think best buy has the asus or acer at 249 and i know that if you want 3g then verizon will have the xoom for just 199 with a contract).

But some people love their cheapo knockoff brands. Not my cup of tea- but some apparently go that route. As far as getting a fire or a Barnes and Noble tablet- some people are into that. Myself- I've used the camera on either of my tablets exactly 1 time to make sure they worked. And collectively i probably have 12 months of use between them.

But then probably me, i'd wait a little longer and get a quad core. :D