Starz on TiVO thru Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hybucket, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Feb 9, 2020 #1 of 24
    hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Comcast is, as you probably know, is dropping STARZ from its packages, tho you can order it a la carte. I prefer not to give Comcast any more $ and would prefer to subscribe to it through Amazon Prime. Hulu, I believe, does not allow you to watch their pay services through the TiVO...does Amazon? I'm not sure whether the Amazon TiVO app is current (the Hulu app they use is ancient). Does anyone either have it, or know the answer, before I subscribe thru Amazon (there's nothing on their site about compatibility thru TiVO)?

2. Feb 9, 2020 #2 of 24
    kitt84

kitt84 New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Yes, I have CBS All Access and HBO Now through Amazon prime and they're available with the TiVo app so l don't see why Starz wouldn't be.

pldoolittle likes this.
  3. Feb 9, 2020 #3 of 24
    hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Thanks - it appears that if you subscribe thru Amazon, you don't get several of the STARZ channels that used to labeled ENCORE, and I do watch some of them, so I guess I'll wind up just handing my paycheck over to Comcast.

4. Feb 9, 2020 #4 of 24
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is also a round about way to use your Amazon subscription to log into the CBS All Access and HBOGo apps directly. Or at least there was on my FireTV. Didn’t try on TiVo

5. Feb 9, 2020 #5 of 24
    spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Comcast is currently running a monthly special on Starz for $5.

6. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I believe that discounted pricing is only good for the first six months. Comcast offered the same discount for the More Sports & Entertainment add-on pack when they moved TCM out of the regular channel packages.

7. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I signed up for it on the Xfinity site and the $5 price is good for 12 months.

8. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Starz is too, that's how I get it.

9. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Only 1 Starz channel comes in on the Tivo. Not all the Encore channels work either.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  10. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Perhaps the discount varies among Comcast regions or depending on your subscription status, but I'm seeing the below banner on the account web page, which substantiates my initial impression:

starz discount.jpg

11. Hamstring

Hamstring Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I still have STARZ even after the purge. Not sure why. Cinemax went south a year ago. That’s obnoxious.

12. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    I called and said my bill was too high. They wouldn't lower the rate but threw in Starz for free.

chiguy50 likes this.
  13. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    You have highlighted one of the consumer "advantages";) of Comcast's exorbitantly high rates: If you are a customer in good standing, you can often obtain freebies, price reductions or other inducements simply for the asking. SHO is another premium channel that is frequently available as a free "customer courtesy" for two to three months or more at a stretch.

14. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    I had starz for years before canceling cable tv

15. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I was surprised last night when we couldn't watch the new episode of Outlander on STARZ. My recollection of the "Comcast dropping STARZ" talk was that Comcast dropped all but the main STARZ channel. And, since that's where Outlander would be, I figured we'd be able to watch. I think Outlander is the only show we watch on STARZ.

I added the STARZ app to my Apple TV and found that we can subscribe for $5/month. I don't know if that price was for 6 or 12 months. But I figure I only need 3 months to watch this season of Outlander.

Are there any other options I should consider for getting this season of Outlander? I'm guessing buying Outlander on iTunes will be more expensive than 3 months of STARZ at $5 each.

16. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If you are not averse to binge-watching, you could wait until the complete season is available (presumably encompassing 13 episodes as in recent seasons), then enable the Starz sub on Comcast for only as long as it takes you to wade through the shows. Unlike other subscription sources, Comcast will only charge you a pro-rated fee based on the days that the sub is active. IOW, even at the full retail rate of $8.99 (as opposed to the current promo rate of $5) you would only be paying about $0.30 per day for the service. You could keep the service for one week, watching two episodes a day, and finish for just over $2 all in.

Alternatively, you could start and stop the service repeatedly to watch just one or more episodes at a time as they air. But that entails more hassle than most people would care to endure just for the sake of saving a few bucks.

17. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    That's probably what I'll do. Thanks!

18. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    If you have some longevity with Comcast, I would call "Retention" by saying "cancel service" at the first prompt. After explaining that a Comcast CSR told me last September (shortly after I renewed my Triple Play contract) that Starz would not be going away unless their programming changed in a way that makes it inappropriate for my package, retention offered me 3 mos free Starz and $5 thereafter. I explained that I'm not interested in additional cost as I feel I am already paying for it under contract and asked for a supervisor. He set up a ticket for me and said someone should contact me in a couple of hours.

The next day I received a call from "Loyalty" (a very nice lady) and we went through the debate again. I'm generally a polite complainer and cut to the chase. "I understand your points, and I believe you understand mine. What can you do for me?". Noting my long history with Comcast she gave me Starz @ $5 for one year and credited my account immediately with $60. When it came time for me to electronically approve the change, we noticed that my projected bill was about $10 higher. We traced it to the increase in the Broadcast Fee scheduled for next month on top of the Starz sub. She then changed my credit to $120 because "I hate showing bills that are higher than expectations".

All in all a good experience with Comcast, which some consider a rarity but I find it to be normal over the years.

pldoolittle likes this.
  19. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I do that, but by recording. Then watch at your leisure. Usually at the last episode they run all episodes of the season in a Marathon. I just record them. I'm going to do this with Homeland on Showtime. I only need Showtime for a day. I did it with the last season of Game of Thrones, still have not watched it yet. Comcast prorates the cost.

20. Hamstring

Hamstring Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    They kept STARZ on my package and the price stayed the same. Cinemax went away and that’s annoying.