"Starved" on FX

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tbone526, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Sep 4, 2005 #1 of 38
    tbone526

tbone526 *Clever title here*

Dec 2, 2004
    Chicago
    Haven't seen any threads since this debuted a few weeks ago. Initially everyone was wondering how they'd manage a show about eating disorders, but I've found it to be very well done. There is some comedy, but there are a lot of poignant moments as well.

As someone who struggles with weight, I'd love to find a "Belt Tighteners" group around here. The touchy-feely WW meetings just didn't do a dang thing for me. The lady who runs those BT meetings is MUCH more motivating.

All in all, after the first few episodes I find I'm enjoying this show and plan on staying with it.

2. Sep 4, 2005 #2 of 38
    TiVoKate

TiVoKate Cue the circus music

Nov 14, 2003
    Natick, MA
    We *Love* this show. I think there were some threads on it, too, FYI....

Who is the lady from Belt Tighteners?? "It's NOT OK..." ... I swear shes' been on something else!

3. Sep 4, 2005 #3 of 38
    randynchicago

randynchicago New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago
    I love this show!! I have all of them recorded and coverted to DVD - without commercials!! Great show, I have told all my friends about it too.

The woman that leads the Belt Tightners group was in A Dirty Shame - she played the chronic masterbater. I don't know her name.

Just wanted to post about this show.

Randy

4. Sep 4, 2005 #4 of 38
    anguzhawk

anguzhawk New Member

Sep 4, 2005
    This show is very funny in a dark sort of way FX has done it again

5. Sep 4, 2005 #5 of 38
    Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    I love this show. My wife who hasn't seen a ep assumes that this show is makeing fun of these people cause they are sick so she will not wacth it. But I like this show alot. I liked the song at the end of the last show. it was Elton Johns "Mona Lisa's and Madd Hatters"

6. Sep 4, 2005 #6 of 38
    tbone526

Dec 2, 2004
    Chicago
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one enjoying it. I did check for threads before posting, and the only one I found was some speculation before it started. There haven't been any episode by episode review threads a la Rescue Me or the other shows on FX that I enjoy.

7. Sep 5, 2005 #7 of 38
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Jackie Hoffman
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0388931

8. Sep 5, 2005 #8 of 38
    efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Very funny, from a highly unusual topic.

I would have belted that yoga guy, too. :eek:

9. Sep 5, 2005 #9 of 38
    ToddAtl

ToddAtl New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    This show is a thousand times better that the Sunny in Philadelphia show. I am glad they unpaired them on the schedule so that Starved can stand on its own.

10. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I love this show, Starved is my favorite show on TV right now, I was worried that there has not been a lot of posts on this show, just waiting for the network to cancel my favorite show AGAIN!

Bill

11. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Good show. The bit where the girl (I'm not great with names yet) challenged the main character to kick his binging after he revealed he was in loved her was heartbreaking - and really well acted. Great show.

12. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    Billie and Sam.

And I love this show too!

13. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Aside from 3 of the 4 main characters with eating disorders being guys, this show is really funny.

To the vegan, "Chunky Monkey doesn't actually have chunks of monkeys in it."

:)

Frank

14. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    My understanding is that the four actors playing the main characters actually had eating disorders in real life.

15. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I have to agree that this is one of the best comedies on right now: right up there with Entourage but a whole different feel obviously... Starved isn't pure comedy like Entourage. I know! It reminds me a bit of Sports Night, which I absolutely loved. Sports Night didn't have the same serious subject matter of course but it had the same feel to it IMO: comedy, but with a lot of meat in it.

The first ep. was OK, but I've been hooked more and more each week since.

16. tbone526

Dec 2, 2004
    Chicago
    I watched Entourage originally, but gave it up after a few episodes. While it had lots of funny parts, I just couldn't identify with the characters.

Starved, on the other hand, has characters that I can definitely identify with.

17. djithm

djithm She's a Maneater

Sep 10, 2004
    Was it just me or did the last episode of Starved begin a little late? The ending got cut off by a good 4 minutes.

18. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    Was it one of the guy's from SNL on the last epi? The guy who could puke on command and not make noise? It cracked me up. Yeah, in a sick kind of way.

19. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I think it was Darrell Hammond, although I'm not positive that's his name. I'm almost positive he was a SNL vet.

That's my one complaint about this show: I can take any number of disgusting things, but watching someone vomit for the sake of entertainment is not my cup of tea.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Yes, that's Darrell Hammond from SNL.