Starting to notice some issues, curious what my options are.

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by sbl2786, Mar 26, 2020.

1. sbl2786

sbl2786 New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    I have a Tivo Bolt+ 3tb it's about 2 and a half years old.

I have had a lot more freezing issues randomly, not consistent yet but pretty random moments where it's sluggish to the point that I have to reboot the box or it might freeze a bit.

Tonight I have 3 shows recording and I tried to play an older recording that I have played fine before and it started freezing during playback

My first thought is it possibly the drive

My ODT while this is happening and I have 3 shows recording was 58 so doesnt seem to be heat related. I have fans under the box

Is there any tests I can do to maybe try to see if theres a problem currently with the drive or other hardware?

Also going forward how can I back up my shows especially if I have to change the drive and if I do have to do that how is that done?

Sorry for the questions but I only have had Tivo since I got this box and I havnt had any issues at all till now

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. Critterbob

Critterbob New Member

Jan 25, 2019
    Makes me wonder if it has to do with the commercials they now add at the beginning of a recording. I noticed this within the last week on mine. I started to wonder when the same ads started at the beginning of my recordings. I realized this was happening when I went back to the beginning of the show and the ad was not on the recording. It causes a startup delay in the recordings. Although I have not experienced lockups because of this, it could be possible. Just a thought.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You can pull the drive, connect it to your PC and run the manufacturer's drive tests against for testing.

You can also download the shows to your PC using pyTivo Desktop or kmttg. If you are running TE4, you would have to use Plex to stream them back if needed (versus uploading them back to the TiVo).

Scott