Starting over... ripping my DVD collection. Suggestions.

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by digger69, Sep 14, 2009.

1. digger69

digger69 New Member

Dec 12, 2007

Advertisements

Hi, just lost my 1TB barracuda. Warranty replaced it, but not the contents :(. So, I'm starting over ripping my DVD library for streaming to my Tivo HD w/ pytivo & streambaby. Previously I used "old school" dvd decryptor and AutoGK to xvid. This was fine as I did a few at a time, but I'd like to streamline the process. Rip/decode/transcode all at once to MKV, MP4 or... I don't need subtitles, alternate audio.

As I understand it, MKV isn't great for compression, but MakeMKV (free) seems like a good choice for DVD->MKV.

Handbrake will decrypt and transcode (mp4/xvid) at once according to this guide. But wanted confirmation.

DVDFab free seems to let me decode, but not transcode.

AnyDVD is $$, but is that really the best choice? I'm willing to drop a few $$ since I'm hoping it will save me days of 2 pass decoding/transcoding.

I appreciate the help.

2. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Handbrake works well, but converting to high-quality h.264 takes a lot of time. If you're going to do that, I'd suggest ripping the DVD to a disk image first, then running handbrake on that. I would think that would save wear and tear on the DVD drive.

I started out doing this with my DVDs, but changed course midstream and went back to ripping to mpeg-2. Much faster, and no transcode required. The only exception is I rip subtitled films to h.264.

3. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    May or may not help you, but I'll post what I do to convert my DVDs to WMV to stream to my 360

DVDFab to rip DVD to hard drive
    TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress to convert DVD to WMV
    I do a 2 pass CBR at 5000-6500 bitrate, windows media 10 5.1 surround

On my 5 year old PC, takes about 12 hours per movie, I just batch them up and do like 5-7 at a time and let it run.

May or may not be the best, but I finally got it and it works

videohelp.com has a TOOOOOON of info if you need it

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I would strongly recommend that you encode them to a format that you can stream natively to your TiVo(s) (Series 3/HD only). Basically that means MP4; WMV might also work, but it's a lot more finicky. See the Streambaby thread for details on the required specs.

Even if you don't currently have an S3/HD, it's a good idea for future-proofing.

5. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006

Advertisements

I'd really echo the suggestions of those that say to avoid transcoding. It's incredibly time consuming and I've never really gotten it to work in a reliably repeatable way. You can buy a 1.5 TB disk drive for $120 and if you're only ripping the main titles, fit 300 discs on it.

6. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    If your system has the horsepower, go the MP4 route. My 5 year old PC takes forever to encode MP4 so I use xvid.

My current receipe is as follows:
    1) DVDFab to vob
    2) Rename files to episode titles & change file extension to mpg
    3) Run winff front-end to ffmpeg to convert mpgs to xvid in batch mode
    4) Run Metagenerator to set up metadata.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    1. I use DVD Decrypter to RIP/Copy the contents to the hard drive.
    2. Use VideoReDo TVSuite to save the video from the .VOB to .MPG. (takes only about a minute or 2)

This works with those Multiple episode DVDs since it shows the time used on the files.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know of any software that will do what you want in one step.
    AnyDVD is great if you need to crack the latest DVD protection schemes, but it doesn't convert.
    I use AnyDVD to handle the encryption. When you load the DVD, AnyDVD removes the encryption and makes the DVD act like it has no protection.
    Once the DVD is "loaded", I open it directly with VideoReDo TV Suite and save the main movie to Mpeg for the Tivo.

9. digger69

digger69 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks all for the great replies.

wmcbrine, do you know of any magic mojo to rip/recode in one step on windows (handbrake?) or do you do two pass (dvdfab -> handbrake | dvddecryptor -> autogk)?

10. jannlinder

jannlinder New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Ummm.... reliable, repeatable way?

Ever try Handbrake with a preset? Turbo Setting with Two-pass VBR with Decomb -- setting the average bit rate at whatever you are comfortable with. Output to MP4. Easy and totally compatible with Tivo using pyTivo or Streambaby. ANYTHING else (short of Mpeg2) requires a re-encode in order to stream or copy. That means, anything else takes extra time and *will* degrade the source. Best to get it over in one step using Handbrake or an FFMPEG equivalent. I do not understand some people's propensity for MKV. Sure, looks great on a computer, however, NOTHING can transmit MKV in it's container to a Tivo..

Just wondering.

11. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I know the OP didn't care about subtitles, but I do. Does anyone have a straightforward flow that carries them? I don't care much about file size or streaming. Just getting the DVD into something I can push/pull with PyTiVo.

12. jmemmott

jmemmott New Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I won't second guess your definition of a straightforward flow but T2Sami was set up to address Tivo subtitle and captioning issues. It supports both pyTivo and Streambaby.

Typically, I use pyTivo. I let T2Sami convert of one of the DVD title set (PGC,VTS) from a decrypted VIDEO_TS directory to an MPEG program stream without transcoding either the audio or video. Along the way T2Sami will convert either the DVD closed caption stream or one of the subtitle streams into a Tivo closed caption stream as you choose. pyTivo can then either push or pull this across to my Tivo.

For Streambaby, the process is similar but T2Sami creates an .srt file which is the format streambaby needs to stream captions/subtitles. H.264 transcoding can be used on this path as it is Streambaby and not the Tivo that displays the captions : A Tivo does not render embedded captions from an MP4 container as it does from an MPEG2 program stream.

13. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    If this works well, I'd prefer your solution to my current one (transcoding foreign films to h.264 with burned-in subtitles). So with your workflow, do the converted subtitles look like most closed caption text? That is, typewriter-like against a black background?

I guess my big concern is how typical closed captions tend to block a fairly large chunk of the picture because of that black background.

14. jmemmott

jmemmott New Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    They are transferred as closed caption text based data which means that the Tivo fully renders the results and they have the same look as any other closed caption source. The HD Tivo gives you some control over the formatting : font, size and color but not alpha blending so you have some control but they still obscure some real estate.

If you want them to look like the original subtitle stream, then burning them in is the only way because the Tivo can only handle a single video stream. The main video and the DVD subtitle stream are both video streams so to see the original subtitles they would have to be merged.

My mechanism avoids the transcoding that the burn-in requires so I get a little better over all video quality and better speed but loose some real estate at the bottom. Since I am typically doing for a hearing impaired individual, I can also remove them if that person is not present at the time...

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

16. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. AnyDVD runs in the background on your PC. When you put a DVD in your PC drive, AnyDVD scans it, removes the protection, then makes it available to the system as protection free.
    Once that is done, you can use any DVD software to do whatever you want.
    I happen to prefer VideoReDo TV Suite because it will open the DVD directly without having to rip it to your hard drive first. VRD does not re-encode.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    thanks for the info-

I poked around the website and it looks like for video redo (once I have anydvd installed)- it's as simple as selecting quickstrem fix, picking the vob's on the dvd drive in the source box and then picking a file location for the output as mpeg? Is it really that simple?

I've been thinking about this for years- how do I get my dvd collection onto a pc so i can just watch on any tivo on my network. It always looked like a million steps- this seems so simple- it's awesome.

Am I missing something? Will the tivo playback the mpeg2 off any dvd? or do i need to fight stuff and reencode at times?

18. spocko

spocko Member

Feb 4, 2009
    A few free alternatives to AnyDVD. I can't vouch for how well they work, but since they're free they may be worth a try.

DVD43 works in a similar way is AnyDVD. It just decrypts, you use another tool to rip.
    http://www.dvd43.com/

DVDFab HD Decrypter does both decrypting and ripping I think. There are free and paid versions of this tool. This is not the same thing as "DVD Decrypter", which is an older tool that is no longer updated.
    http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

19. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    In VRD TVS you click File -> Open title from DVD. Next you choose the drive the DVD is in then the videoTS folder. VRD then lists the titles available. If you want the main movie, you just pick the one with the most time. This dialog box has a check box for auto quick stream fix.
    Once you open that title, you're automatically put into quickstream fix if you have checked the box mentioned above, otherwise it opens in the normal editor. It really is that simple.

At least for me, the mpeg2 files output from VRD play fine as is on the Tivo. I sometimes get a Video Format Notice screen but I ignore it and let the Tivo download it anyway.

20. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    do those "just work"?

I've played with other free stuff before and it's all a nightmare of needing to read 400 pages of threads on 15 different forums to learn what to do. So Id gladly pay to get something that just works without needing to read and learn a million settings to get it to go.