Stars you spot in things done before they were stars

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 67
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm using the term "star" loosely, really just meaning actors best known for their work in current or recent series.

Seems like I've had a rash of "before they were stars" sightings lately. In every case, they've been people that I had never heard of before their current work on whatever series they're on. But now that I know who they are, I'm seeing them in older work. (Sure, you could just pick someone and go to IMDB to see what they've done, but serendipity is more fun.)

For instance, in catching up with Gilmore Girls season four (currently in season six) on DVD, I saw Teddy Dunn, now a regular on Veronica Mars, in a one-episode stint as a date for Rory Gilmore. A couple of days ago, while flipping channels, I paused at the movie Remember the Titans, only to spot Ethan Suplee, now known as Randy on My Name is Earl, playing a college football player. I've had one or two others recently that slip my mind just now, but you get the idea.

What actors have you recognized in older work, now that you know who they are due to something newer?

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 67
    Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    This happened to us just yesterday too, we flipped by that stupid TV movie about the couple and son that were driving from San Francisco to Idaho and decided that since INTERSTATE 80 was CLOSED due to snow they would find their way around it on smaller summer roads!!! The idiot factor is almost too much for me to continue....

Anyway, the stupid wife was played by Bobby's wife on The Practice. Evident that she is a one trick pony when it comes to acting, she played stupid wife just like she played Bobby's stupid wife.

zero star factor here, sorry

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 67
    alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Never heard of Ever Carradine before "Commander in Chief," recently saw her on an old episode of "Will and Grace."

Paula Marshall pops up quite a bit as a guest star in old series.

Normally, I'm really bad about recognizing guest stars though - I'll find out about old appearances from the equivalent to Tivo's Wish List.

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 67
    MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    This is really stretching star power...but when Scrabble was still on TV in reruns (I wouldn't know if it's still on The Game Show Network, I don't get it), I spotted Dennis "Mr. Belding" Haskins competing (That's from "Saved By The Bell", and no, it wasn't a "stars" show")...
    There were actually quite a few that I've noticed as kids on "The Wonder Years"...excuse my spelling, but Giovanni Ribisi was on there, "Chuck" has been in beer commercials, David Schwimmer was on there, there were other side characters on there that went on to other things too, the same can't be said for ANY of the main characters though...

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 67
    Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I thought about starting this exact same topic when I saw Ellen Pompeo (Meredith Grey on Grey's Anatomy) on an old episode of "The Job".

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 67
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I saw Fran Drescher in an episode of Night Court recently

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 67
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Megan Mulally (sp?) of Will and Grace was on an episode of Press Your Luck (the Whammy game show) on GSN. The voice was a dead give away.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 67
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
  9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 67
    Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I saw her on an episode of Fame recently.

10. kmcorbett

kmcorbett New Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    Kristen Bell was a featured guest star on a season 1 episode of American Dreams.

11. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dennis Haysbert (24) was on an old episode of Magnum PI as a Naval officer.

Michael Dorn (Star Trek: Next Generation) was a paramedic on Knots Landing

12. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Almost every actress who ever played one of Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld has gone on to bigger things. The most obscure is probably Stiffler's mom(from American Pie and other things) was the woman who wouldn't submit to forceable massage.

13. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I was going to mention Seinfeld. Seems like every other show has some periodic character whos actor/actress went on to become a star.

14. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    This is kind of the opposite in a way. When Friends started I remembered Jennifer Aniston from a low-fat salad dressing commercial.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Don't forget the mighty Ferris Bueller TV series too...

16. Chapper1

Chapper1 Broncos Faithful

Jan 1, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    I remembered her from a short lived FOX show called "The Edge". It was a pretty good show, which of course, got cancelled...

17. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Saw Master and Commander on HBO recently and was surprised to see Max Pirkis, Octavian from HOB's Rome, as a lowly midshipman. I also happened to stumble upon Proof, a 1991 Australian film with a very young Russell Crowe costarring with Hugo Weaving, Mr. Smith from the Matrix.

18. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Look for Dennis Haysbert in several episodes of Buck Rogers, as well.

Michael Dorn was on CHiPs, too.

19. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Definitely not a "star", and who knows maybe some people know this guy better from his soap opera days. But we were watching I Love the 90's last week and they showed Susan Lucci finally getting her Emmy. The guy who presented it was Shemar Moore, who plays Special Agent Morgan on Criminal Minds. He was on The Young & The Restless for like 10 years (had to look it up, wasn't 100% sure he was the presenter).

Other than that, I just realized how long it's been since I've watched reruns or older movies. Just got a few seasons of Seinfeld for Christmas though, I'm sure I'll come across some when I get to watching those. Or maybe I'll catch some walking through the room while my wife and son are watching Full House.

20. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    I often mention the Match Game '78 reruns on Game Show Network, when a hot young Wichita native named Kirstie Alley came out to match the stars.