Stargirl - Full season thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Jun 11, 2020 #1 of 106
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm surprised there's no season thread for this show. I like it so far and am happy that Cortney has started to recruit others. I was initially concerned about a lone teenager going against adult male villains but it looks like the mean girl from school might become a bad guy too.

My only significant complaint with the show is with Courtney's step-brother. I hate that obnoxious kid.

2. Jun 11, 2020 #2 of 106
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm enjoying this show, too. I haven't watched CW shows since the early days of Supernatural, so I kinda developed a preconception that the channel's shows aren't for me. But I tried this out because of Luke Wilson, Amy Smart, and Joel McHale (though it turns out it's only a cameo by him, so far). Good thing for me that I did.

I feel bad for Yolanda. Especially with how her parents are treating her. Happy she's finally standing up for herself and helping rebuild the JLA JSA.

Edit: It's JSA, not JLA. My bad.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  3. Jun 11, 2020 #3 of 106
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Haha! I like him...but agree he is obnoxious!

I'm really liking this show and this week with recruiting Yolanda as Wildcat. And also showed why she's the way she is. Man her parents are brutal!

4. Jun 11, 2020 #4 of 106
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I fully expected Yolanda's parents to crack and forgive her. Boy, was I surprised. She and Mike should switch families. He needs discipline and she needs freedom.

5. Jun 11, 2020 #5 of 106
    Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    It looks like she's going to recruit the other two outcasts as well. So a bunch of teenagers with little experience are going to go up against the group of villains who defeated the JSA? Based on the first episode, it seemed like the ISA won rather easily.

6. Jun 11, 2020 #6 of 106
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    It wouldn't be a heros journey if the obstacles were easy, now would it?

7. Jun 11, 2020 #7 of 106
    KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Somehow I see him ending up with the Thunderbolt pen.

8. Jun 11, 2020 #8 of 106
    Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I hadn't thought of that, but it makes some sense. They've given the kid a rather prominent role, plus they've made a big deal about the pen, so maybe.

The guy outcast's last name is Tyler and his back story matches what Pat told Courtney about Hourman, so I'm guessing he'll inherit the hourglass.

9. Jun 12, 2020 #9 of 106
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    His name is Rick Tyler and Pat has already stated that Hourman's name was Rex Tyler.

Plus I've read Infinity Inc and Justice Society and I know that Rick Tyler was the son of Rex Tyler.

As for the Thunderbolt pen, remember that Mike has already mentioned his friend Jakeem.

I'm quite enjoying the show and I'm glad that they didn't take the easy way out with Yolanda's parents.

10. Jun 12, 2020 #10 of 106
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I'm really enjoying this show as well.

Question for all of you, where are you watching this show?

If you are watching it on The CW you are getting an edited version of the show. Episodes have been edited to fit into The CW's 43 minute format for hour long programs. So about 10 minutes per episode is being cut.

The longer version of each episode is available in HD on the iTunes store or 4K HDR on DC Universe.

The CW version of the show has cut an entire 4 minute scene with the injustice society in one episode I noticed. So some of the plot is missing on The CW.

11. Jun 12, 2020 #11 of 106
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm watching on DC Universe when I remember it shows up there a day earlier.

LoREvanescence likes this.
  12. Jun 12, 2020 #12 of 106
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've been looking forward to this show ever since it was announced for the DCU streaming service. I've enjoyed all of their live action shows so far. Stargirl is definitely a family oriented show, unlike the R-rated versions of Doom Patrol and Titans. It looks like the new JSA is going to end up being another bunch of teens like Titans, except that these teens are inexperienced and clueless. If none of them end up getting killed it will be a miracle.

There's one thing that bugs me about costumes like they did with Wildcat's costume and Yolanda. The writers and CGI folks like to take shortcuts and have superhero costumes morph into one size fits all or just suddenly envelope a person so they're ready for action. It's a cheap gimmick that they use over and over again. I keep expecting to see Harry Potter to pop up in the background waving his wand and singing Bippity-Boppity-Boo.

13. Jun 12, 2020 #13 of 106
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I’m watching on CW. I don’t have DCU. I like it but not enough to pay for the full episodes a la carte.

14. Jun 12, 2020 #14 of 106
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Only for the first two episodes. The last two were much shorter...it's possible they didn't have to cut anything at all.

Which, of course, says nothing about future episodes...on DCU they're able to just let each episode find its own length.

15. Jun 12, 2020 #15 of 106
    JolDC

JolDC Active Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Arlington VA
    He specifically mentioned his friend Jakeem this episode and that name ties directly to the pen in the greater DCU. So maybe he will be pen adjacent.

16. Jun 16, 2020 #16 of 106
    KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I really hope they are going to do something interesting with Beth to make her a decent Dr Midnight. Right now she is Dr Annoying.

cbrrider and LoREvanescence like this.
  17. Jun 16, 2020 #17 of 106
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Interesting that they chose to avoid the whole Miraclo/drug addiction thing with Hour Man...I curious to see what they're going to do with Green Lantern. The Alan Scott Silver Age /JSA version had significant differences from Hal Jordan and later versions.

In particular, there were no Guardians, no Green Lantern Corps and instead of using will power to manifest energy forcefields, Alan Scott's ring gave him mystical tracking, the ability to walk through walls, and invulnerability to anything except for wood.

18. Jun 17, 2020 #18 of 106
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I guess popping Miraclo pills isn't a good look for high schoolers.
    (IIRC, Roy Thomas did do a storyline dealing with the fact that Miraclo had addictive properties and their effect on Rex Tyler.)

Huh?
    What are you talking about?
    Alan Scott's Power Ring pretty much had the same functionally as Hal's and the rest of the Guardian issued ones.
    (In fact, there's at least one instance of Hal and Alan switching rings and another of them linking them together to cancel out each other's weakness.)

At least until Alan absorbed the Green Flame. The "Earth 2" version operated a little differently but not that differently.

I am a little surprised that they're going to keep the World War II aspects of the Justice Society.
    According to the AI Chuck, Charles McNider was born in 1914.

19. Jun 17, 2020 #19 of 106
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've never been a big fan of superhero origin stories since they take up so much time of the first season/first movie. I know nothing about the JSA so I have no idea how many more new members (along with their origin stories) Courtney needs to recruit but I hope it's not too many more and the bad guy butt kicking commences soon.

I thought Yolanda was on super-duper lock down yet she seems to be out and about quite a bit.

I thought Hourman was one of the dumbest superhero names ever but it makes sense now with the episode's explanation. Do the Injustice Society bad guys know he only has super strength for an hour? Is that hour contiguous or can he turn it on and off when needed? Feel free to spoilerize the answer if you feel it needs it.

20. Jun 17, 2020 #20 of 106
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In the comics, it ran for an hour, then he had to wait for the next day to use it again.