Stargirl 1x01 Pilot 5/18/20 (DCU); 5/19/20 (CW)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, May 18, 2020.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Just a heads-up...the DCU version of this is 53 minutes long, so either the CW will run it with limited commercial interruption, or they'll have to cut around 11 minutes to fit it into the timeslot.

2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Is this part of the "Arrowverse"? The only one I've seen is Arrow, and I only saw the first few seasons. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to watch other "Arrowverse" shows is because the task seemed somewhat overwhelming to me because of all the crossovers.

3. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I saw Geoff Johns say recently that the DCU versions would be longer than the CW.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Technically it is, but there are no direct connections (yet), and the tone is very different...much lighter. The lead is delightful; her sheer joy at her newfound abilities reminds me of the early Supergirl, before Kara became all gloomy.
    Interesting. It starts with a lengthy prelude showing the end of the Justice Society ten years ago; maybe they'll cut that for CW and go straight to the modern-day stuff..?

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

Well, DCU 53 minutes, CW 43? Was there 10 minutes worth of material to cut? Looking forward to another lighter toned show. Fitting, I guess, that this airs before Legends of Tomorrow.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think the JSA prelude was ten minutes, maybe even longer? It does have some information that matters later, but I'm not sure how necessary it is to have it at that point...

(Although it has a hilarious scene where the dying Starman tells Stripesy that he will not be the new Starman...brutally cold, although we later find out why.)

7. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I watched this while I was working and I totally missed the transformer aspect of the car at the beginning, so I was caught a little off-guard at the end when pat showed up in his ironman suit.

8. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I noticed that the DCU version was CinemaScope widescreen (2.35:1) rather than the usual TV 16x9 widescreen (1.77:1) which is virtually unheard of for broadcast TV. I wonder if the CW version will be cropped?

As for cutting 10 minutes, some of the middle dragged on, such as parts of high school and just walking around town. If I had to pick a part to cut, that would be it.

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I missed that too. Thanks.

I liked the first episode a lot. Looking forward for the next one. I just hope the really lame super villain names don't turn me off too much.

10. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    At the end of the Crisis crossovers this year, they showed all of the "new" Earths that were around post-Crisis and they showed Stargirl as being on a different Earth than the rest of the established Arrowverse shows.

I took that as a sign that they're not planning on having Stargirl crossover to any of the Arrowverse shows.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ...although every crossover so far has involved people from different Earths...

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, but that was before they reset the Multiverse...

13. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I also saw somewhere that the crossover event is going to be significantly reduced next year. I believe the article said it was only going to be 2 episodes although I dont know 2 episodes of what show.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nevertheless, they can do whatever they want. There's absolutely no reason Stargirl can't participate in future crossovers (although next year's is, as Kung said, going to be considerably reduced due both to the overall scaling back of television this season and to a desire to avoid the kind of Event Fatigue that has plagued comics in recent years). I'm sure they'll want to give her a couple of years to develop her own identity, like they did with Black Lightning...and I'm also sure they'll eventually bring her into the fold, like they did with Black Lightning.

15. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    They kept the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so no cropping.

As expected they cut a bunch of the high school stuff, namely were Courtney first meets those three girls and the detention scene. They also cut some parts of the scene where Courtney first finds the staff. They left all the “important” parts.

I have to say the pacing feels better with the cuts. As I mentioned the DCU version dragged on at times.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Batwoman is in the same aspect ratio.

17. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Odd I guess I never noticed.

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Probably because the show is visually dark, meaning the borders don’t stand out.

19. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I liked the pilot. Annoyed that her step dad looks at the pendant and does not clearly see its Joel McHale!

20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It could be because it wasn’t the character he was portraying. We will find out. It would be a big departure form the source material if Starman was her father but they have changed other details on the CW shows.

In story, he grew up with Star Man. He at least thinks he knows it’s not him.