StarGate: Universe - Season 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdbdigital, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA

Advertisements

Now that Season 1 is over on StarGate Universe, what's your overall opinion of the show? A lot of folks seem to have a lot of problems with how and where the writers are going and other issues similar to what happened with Battlestar Galactica.

What issues bother you? What direction should they go in to resolve these issues? In what direction would you like to see the series go? And what is going on with the Lucian Alliance?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

2. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    It is the worst of the Stargates. It is still marginally better than no Stargate.

Z

3. pierpont

pierpont TiVo-ing since 1999

Jul 9, 2006
    USA
    Bad, sloppy writing. Too many plot holes. Bad acting. They tried to do Stargate Galactica and ended up turning the show into Stargate Voyager with their own version of the maquis (Lucian Alliance).

PS
    Rush is right about Young. He is a horrible leader.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He reminds me of what Churchill said about democracy...the worst form of government, except for the alternatives.

5. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO

Advertisements

The first half was boring. The second half was going OK (minus plot holes at times) and these last two episodes were dreadful.

6. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    This.

They could be doing sooooo much but they aren't.

7. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    OK, I'll buck the trend. I like it. It's not the same as the other shows, but it's no worse or better because of that.

Other than the giant cliff hanger at the end of this season, no complaints here.

8. SteveInNC

SteveInNC Active Member

Jun 23, 2005
    RTP, NC
    It's barely hanging on as far as I'm concerned. They had a few episodes recently that showed promise for what it could become, but then fell back into the soap opera writing.

They really need to get over the "who's in charge" (multiple) plot-lines and get on with exploring A) the ship, B) the planets that they come to, C) the systems on the ship controller/computer, and D) run into a few "alien" alien cultures, not humans in funny clothes with Middle-Earth societies. We had at least one alien group in the marauders, but I'd prefer that they not become the equivalent of the Wraith - recurring bad guys that consume the plot.

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The worst of the Stargates? Have you people not watched the lightweight Stargate:Atlantis? Stargate:SG1 overstayed it's welcome by about three years.

Universe has its problems. It spent waaay to much time on internal strife. They spent waaay too much time on Destiny. What I do like is that they tried to give us three dimensional, flawed people. People who make mistakes. People with issues. People who are stuck in situations they're totally not prepared for but have to somehow deal with - even if they hate the people they share a community with. The characters on Atlantis were two dimensional paper cutouts with no depth for the entire series run.

I hope Universe remains "real people in space" in season 2 and I hope Rush and Eli don't pull magical solutions out of their butts every episode like Sam and Rodney did.

Here's what i09.com thinks: http://io9.com/5565598/how-to-save-stargate-universe-season-2

10. MasterCephus

MasterCephus New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Hueytown,...
    I watch it because it's Stargate, but I am just trying to find someone to root for. It's not so much about "they are all flawed", but all of them are so bland...In any episode, any character could be killed off and I wouldn't be too upset about it. The only one that has actual worth is Rush, simply because he's the genius of the show.

Now I know it's not campy like SG1 and Atlantis was, but at least they had characters everyone liked and it was pretty clear what the goals and objectives were.

I think they should start to focus on (like someone else said) other parts of destiny, fixing destiny, and finally exploring the planets they come to. This whole argument about who is in charge is really, really getting old. The whole stones exchange is really stupid and does nothing but fill time when the writers can't think of anything else.

11. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    So boring. And I really don't understand the plot device to keep them from controlling the ship. If they get control of the ship, then what? The show is over? Hardly. Give them control of the damn ship already! Then they can really explore and do things. Other than moping around, that is.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    As I've said before, I think this is a show that is extremely cool and innovative in its conception, but very poor in its execution. There are so many potentially fascinating elements that haven't been done to death, but every single one of them is mangled into tedium and cliché.

And it's also fallen prey to Battlestar Syndrome, where they do what's cool in the moment without regard for how it fits into the show as a whole. They're not as bad at that as BG was, but then again BG had some pretty spectacular strengths to go along with its pretty spectacular weaknesses. On Stargate: Universe, the strengths are all theoretical and the weaknesses all-too-real. Plus their idea of what's cool in the moment isn't really very cool.

13. luvmyhd

luvmyhd New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    I totally agree with the emphasis on "marginally".

14. pierpont

pierpont TiVo-ing since 1999

Jul 9, 2006
    USA
    Because the writers chose to include the communication stones in this series, Young being the worst leader except for the alternatives doesn't hold true. With the stones, the SGC has thousands of alternatives. They could have replaced Young with Samantha Carter or Cam Mitchel and had a better leader. Of course the writers don't do that because they want their characters dirty and flawed like in BSG. But that is a major plot hole that the writers have been incapable of writing around. "Universe" is to the Stargate series what "Enterprise" was to the Star Trek series. The writers are tired, ran out of ideas, and are trying to squeeze a few more nickels out of their legacy fanbase.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, no, you can't have a leader who's not there. And anybody who "leads by stones" would be bounced out every time they went into FTL, not to mention the human rights issues of having people more or less permanently inhabiting other people's bodies...

16. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Then it becomes the last season of Buck Rogers, or BSG.

Having them not be in control makes the show a little different. Besides, if they do turn around at this point, how many species over the millions of years have learned how to use the gates left behind? It might be a trip fraught with aliens trying to take the ship from them.

If they had control, I could see them trying to park it in orbit around a planet and try to rejigger the gate to go back. As it is they have to expend resources staying alive from day to day and don't have much time to do anything else.

17. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    I agree 100%!!!!

Gerry

18. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I look forward to it each week - I guess that means I like it ;)

19. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Telford's getting control. It's the whole reason for the LA thing. O'Neill is going to bounce Young, he's already annoyed with him. Wouldn't surprise me if Young takes one for the team in the opener. He's possibly lost his child and his mistress, he might feel he has nothing to lose.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect the opposite...that they're finally going to get rid of Telford once and for all, and put an end to the Lou Diamond Phillips fiasco (I'm not sure why he was hired as the star of the show and then immediately demoted to sporadic guest star, but I would be surprised if anybody were happy with having this drag on like it has).