Stargate Universe "Epilogue" 4/25/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Apr 26, 2011.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've tried to be a staunch supporter of this show but after this episode I'm looking forward to it ending. Only two more episodes left and they're still giving us depressing snoozers like this.

2. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'm sort of ok with it. I keep telling myself they were not in a hurry to wrap up when they shot those episodes.

The ALS cure wasn't in the upload? why go that way? it just seemed mean for no reason. It's ok to have a break go their way every once in a while.

3. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I thought this one suffered too much from a fairly common SF problem: encountering a dangerous situation just like this one, *right as it goes bad*.

Yeah, it's been 30 years since Novus lost contact, and the info bunker has just been sitting there, but it's not until the day and hour that the Destiny crew shows up that it is threatened with destruction?

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It was the extra weight of all those people on the bottom level of the complex that finally triggered the earthquake.

:D

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Seemed like a filler episode except for something at the end (which I now cannot remember) that refered to some other story arc. I think leaving Rush out of the settlement was wonderful. Did they kill him?

6. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I thought the look at the microcosm of life was interesting. Starting from a small group with virtually nothing, growing into a flourishing society of thousands (millions?) over multiple generations.

I don't see how Varro survived that fall, though.

"Damn kids, always dancing, laughing. Stay off my lawn!" :)

7. dfergie

dfergie Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Wow, I guess I'm the only one that really liked this episode...

8. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Yup. Never mind that being 30 stories underground is a really, I mean, truly, fantastically bad place to be in a seismically active area.

And once the transfer started, how exactly did it necessitate their being present to continue transmitting?

Wouldn't such a transfer be set it and forget it? Either the station continues to transmit, or it doesn't.

9. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    oh, I liked it. It's just the frustration of there being only 2-3 shows left and the main story arc is not advanced that is frustrating.

I could not understand that, either. Never mind that it seems that the files go up defragmented, as well. And Eli wasn't smart enough to prioritize the files (e.g. science advancements, medicine, etc. go first). I'm sure there are 100 holes in that story.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The best part of the episode.

11. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    And if they know which planet the slower-than-light ships were headed to and roughly when they left, it seems like they should be able to find them without too much trouble. Then they could drop off the settlers and pick up the rest of the data transfer.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He didn't go through the gate with the others (remember, they thought they were returning to Earth; Rush stayed behind).

13. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I think that the last 2 episodes are among the best of the series.

Given that they didn't know they were cancelled when they made them I don't fault them for the diversion from the main storyline.

Z

14. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Kind of an alternate universe clip episode, except the clips were "new". Clear now they aren't going to wrap this up, since next weeks is another drone episode, and then the last one. I wish Rush would have responded at the end: "While you were pining over a life you didn't live, I was working to make sure you can breathe for the next year."

15. SpiritGreyWolf

SpiritGreyWolf Canyon carver

Nov 4, 2005
    ABQ, New Mexico
    Not even prioritize by area - just time. Suck up everything starting from the most recent and move backwards. Sure - knowing how they went from thatch huts and wood fences all the way to a thriving megalopolis where monster spaceships could just take off from the streets, nice to know. But I want the latest and greatest info FIRST.

As soon as they said "everyone left in big spaceships" I was like "well, let's blow this popsicle stand, head in the direction of the new digs, and do some scans. They were going to ONE place, not hard to hit the same general trajectory. Figure out the safe cruising speed of the slowest ship, (shoulda been in the download from newest to oldest I would think), calculate the distance over time, program Destiny for a jump - viola - you're in range. Maybe hit a star first and gas up the tanks? You know - the star in that solar system?

And the fact they had Eli say, "No, we can't do it" made me wanna slap the writers. In fact, the fellow that plays Eli has my permission to go find the writer of that particular dialogue and slap him, too. If you're gonna write Sci-Fi, and one of the characters of the show knows Sci-Fi, write about the stuff he could think up from watching all the other Sci-Fi. Eli can figure out some obscure time-travel possibility, but not a simple "catch up to the Arks" possibility?

It's *this* kind of inane writing that makes me think Sci-Fi shows as a genre are getting weaker as time moves on.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think you're vastly underestimating how BIG interstellar space is. We're still finding planet-sized objects in our own solar system, and the amount of space they'd have to search even with a rough idea of where the fleet would be is much larger than a solar system. My guess is when one of the writers suggested this idea, they had to withdraw it quickly before the science adviser died laughing. (And this seems to be one of those rare Stargate series where they actually pay attention to the science adviser.)

17. tgrim1

tgrim1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Iowa
    Im surprised that everyone wasnt extremely pissed at Eli seeing how it was him who got them into the mess, not rush.

18. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    the "Futura" guy certainly was. They even almost came to blows about it.

19. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I know all SciFi shows are ridiculous to begin with, but I just kept saying "How did they get those clothes? And painted paneling?" :)

But count me as a sap, because I got teary this ep.

20. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    Using conventional space craft, sure, there's a whole lot of nothing out there. But destiny has all sorts of fancy sensors that should be able to instantly map out a solr-system sized section of space, if not much larger.