Stargate Universe "Blockade" 5/2/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by windracer, May 4, 2011.

1. May 4, 2011 #1 of 29
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Wow, only one more episode left. Still a lot of unanswered questions I suspect will continue to be unanswered, primarily how the drones are tracking Destiny.

There were some good one-liners in this one:

"Holy crap, we dialed Pittsburgh."
    "Mmmm ... botulism."
    "This room needs more chairs."
    "Who am I, Captain Kirk?"

Interesting how the "English" language "evolved" into SMS-like misspellings: atak, etc.

2. May 4, 2011 #2 of 29
    dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    I am so disappointed that the Borg-- I mean Drones-- story is the final arc for this series. The idea of following clues about this lost civilization is fun though, and I wish the series could have spent more time on that.

3. May 4, 2011 #3 of 29
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    This week was okay, but not great.

I'm bracing myself for major disappointment for next week since the next episode was never designed to be a series finale. Despite "the mission" being mentioned every week in the opening montage, I don't expect the mission to be completed.

At this point, I'm half expecting a future version of Young to appear and try to find a way teleport Destiny to Earth, but ends up implanting a computer virus into the drone network which destroys all the drones. :rolleyes:

4. May 4, 2011 #4 of 29
    Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I thought the best line was: "One casulity. I broke his nose."

the scene with them flying through the photosphere of the star was excellent.

5. May 4, 2011 #5 of 29
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think it was something like:

"Any casualties?"

"Morrison. I broke his nose."

6. May 4, 2011 #6 of 29
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I thought the best line was the response to why there wasn't a gun shop: "Maybe they're Canadian."

7. May 4, 2011 #7 of 29
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Except it wasn't Volker, just some random "the sky is falling" guy.

8. May 4, 2011 #8 of 29
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You're right, it wasn't Volker. But it wasn't some random guy, either...it was Morrison, another Destiny scientist whose main purpose in life seems to be whining. Every time a difficult decision needs to be made, he's the one who does, well, pretty much what he did in this episode. Complain loudly about how inconvenient making the hard decision is for him, and how the world would be so much better if they'd just pretend nothing was wrong and no difficult decision needed to be made. (I have trouble with the names.)

9. May 4, 2011 #9 of 29
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Me too ... so it was some guy whose name I didn't know. :D

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But not some random guy whose name you didn't know. It was a very specific guy whose name you didn't know. :D

11. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I love how they keep painting Rush to be a jerk when he is, in fact, making the tough and best decisions given the circumstances.

12. Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    VT
    Yeah, he does a good job at making the tough decisions, but he's still a jerk.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    True.

But he doesn't have to be such a jerk about it.

:D

14. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    ah, so he can be like Young? get drunk and mope while putting other lives in danger because he's too soft to handle the pressure?

Long live RUSH!

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The drones are a yuccho enemy. The Luccian Alliance seems to have disappeared.

16. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    The Luccian Alliance guy used a missile to shoot down the drone outside the building with the stargate.

If the drones were attracted to everything, including the use of radios, why didn't they come running when the gate was first activated (when the Destiny's crew arrived)? It seems they weren't aware of their being there until later, when the crew were exploring the city.

17. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Before Lisa got trapped in the garden, I half expected Rush's suit to be broken when he went to put it on, and insist Lisa give him hers, because he's more important to the mission than she is. That bit about how he wasn't wearing his suit yet at the start looked like it was going to lead into something more.

Of course, Lisa would have done it and Eli would have tried to give her his suit.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The half-assed explanation somebody on the show gave was "they must have been really spread out across the planet."

19. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    All it takes is 3 machine guns or one RPG to bring one down. On top of that, they just sit there while you're shooting bullets at them until they go down.

How can a planet lose a way to that?

oh, I forgot. They were Canadians and didn't have any guns :p

Edit: lose a way? WTF? I believe I meant war, not way!

20. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Yeah, the uber-dangerous drones can be taken out with just hand weapons? Great writing there...