Stargate Universe 3/14/2011 "Twin Destinies"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Anubys, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

Advertisements

OK, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping everyone liked this episode.

so, yes, of course, we knew Talford and Rush 2.0 were going to have to die somehow. But I like how they did it. I also thought that they were just going to have the mysterious race rebuild Destiny for them (like they did with the shuttle). So I'm glad the writers didn't go that way.

Still, a heck of a time for a throw-away episode. So that was not good.

2. mrpope

mrpope Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I liked this one, but groaned when Talford and Rush were standing in front of the recently alluded to high voltage.

I was hoping that they would keep the doppelgangers around for a few episodes.

3. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I guess I'm not understanding the timeline. Destiny 1 goes into the sun, activates the 9th chevron and gets sent back in time before Telford enters the Stargate? Is that right? And so Telford shows up on earth before Destiny 2 even drops out of hyperspace? Wouldn't that be noticed by anyone?

Also, I think that Rush (the one from the alternate timeline, that sat in the chair) isn't gone for good. Wouldn't be surprised if he ascended.

4. mcdougll

mcdougll Occasionally Lucid

Jan 27, 2003
    Illinois
    This ep really had me interested, so as far as that goes, I liked it.

Still, I've got a few things I don't understand. Didn't she (whatever her name is) say that Earth-Telford used the stones and somehow chose to switch into Destiny-Telford? How? I didn't know that was even supposed to be possible?

When Destiny-Telford (apparently with Earth-Telford's conscience) was killed, were they both killed?

I had a few 'Oh yeah right'-type responses to some of the people who chose to stay behind. There's no way Chloe would do that. Eli might be tempted to stay because Chloe did, but I still think he wouldn't do it. I was surprised Young chose to, as well.

When Rush 2.0 came out of the shuttle at the beginning, he lunged at Destiny-Telford, saying "He's going to try to kill you all". He didn't try to kill anyone. He might have gotten a lot of people killed by advocating the trip home and then leading them into the wormhole, but that's completely different.

I now wonder if we're going to see Rush 2.0 again.

5. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA

Advertisements

Apparently Lt. Hooters was creeped out by McKay looking at her. If she only knew about us. :p

Greg

6. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    No. She went to the stones to report on status and found a Telford there that wanted to use the stones to get to Destiny, and preferred to use the other Telford's body. But Colonel Young said it could wait til later. Then Telford was electrocuted. And so never happened.

7. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    I think Rush is pointing out the speach Telford said right after Rush's.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    So you can go back in time and interact with yourself and the universe doesn't explode?

Even Rush knows Rush is a selfish liar.

9. SteveInNC

SteveInNC Active Member

Jun 23, 2005
    RTP, NC
    I liked it. As per the Colonel's final conversation, I think that they tried to imply that Rush1 had manufactured the whole incident and time loop to get spares from Destiny1 to fix Destiny2 so that the trip could continue.

The writers have also dropped hints earlier that Rush may have some alien DNA stuff rattling around in him, similar to Chloe, but I think it would be a bit much that he could "do the math" to cause all of the follow-on incidents, particularly given that the core of the sun is almost a perfect random device (in the entropy sense), so predicting exactly the right time to hit exactly the right sunspot/flare to cause a time loop, etc., seems a bit much.

As someone else mentioned, I expect to see Rush1 manifest in some form again after sitting in the chair. We still haven't found out what or if the first guy that did it is still around, although they imply that at times.

As a totally out-there premise, they could argue that Rush1 (pre-Rush2) sat in the chair as his final act before falling into the sun the first time after everyone had already gone through the gate - he had nothng to lose at that point and might learn (who knows what). This may have been enough to give him the knowledge to cause the knock-on effects.

10. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    one thing I can understand is the need for Rush to lie about what happened to Rush 2.0

Would anyone have been upset if he said "I found him in the chair room, I had no time to argue with him, he hooked up to the chair, and I ran away like a bat out of hell"?

They need to get to the end of the mission soon, the only way to do that is with some help from a powerful source. So it could be Rush 2.0 that intervenes and gives them a huge speed boost to get there.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    What happened to the first guy who sat in the chair many moons ago?

12. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    we don't know. Yet.

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That was a good line. "Ugh, McKay!"

Well, the universe did re-balance the equation by killing off the duplicates. ;)

So Lou Diamond Phillips finally gets back onto Destiny, only to be killed and now "stranded" back on Earth again? :p

14. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Except as I see it the Telfer that we ended up with was the one from the timeline that had the attempted evacuation to Earth. The Telfer from the current Destiny died. So while duplicates did die,one was from the current Destiny (Rush), the other from the destroyed Destiny (Telfer).

The whole episode just seemed a way to explain how they got spare parts to repair Destiny after the devastating attack. I almost expected them to find repair ships and parts depots sent out in advance because the Ancients knew the ship would need them at some point, just as they sent out stargate seed ships.

15. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    This was a suspenseful episode! I kept wondering and anticipating how they would kill off a copy of Rush and Telfer so that only one of each remained! ;)

16. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Either someone really didn't want Lou Diamond Phillips on the show or they really couldn't figure out a contract. LDP was one of the main reasons we decided to watch the show originally, and I was always disappointed he ended up being a very irregular guest star.

17. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    LDP never was a regular, that's why they stashed him away on the gate ship for a while.

Now they have him back on Earth for the same reason.

18. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I think telford made it through before they hit the solar flare and went back in time. That's why he's the only one who made it. So he actually arrived on Earth 12 mins from when destiny arrived, at least that's what I figured.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He actually was a regular when he was first cast (the leads were supposed to be him, Ming-Na and Carlyle). But for whatever reason, the show was revamped before it went into production and Phillips and Ming-Na were downgraded to recurring.

I was a little surprised, after they basically dumped him on Earth, that they went through the mental gymnastics necessary to bring him back to Destiny. It's always felt to me like they could never figure out what and how much they wanted to do with Phillips and Ming-Na.

20. JerryLBell

JerryLBell Active Member

May 3, 2002
    Well, you notice that the duplicates never actually touch each other... If they did, they'd turn into a squishy bloc and then melt away. No, wait, that was Ron Silver in "TimeCop"... :p