Stargate Universe 03/28/2011 "Hope"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Anubys, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    It's now Thursday and I can't find a thread for this. I hope this is not a duplicate...

I also hope I have the right episode title! the SGU website is not very clear.

Anyway...

the Marine guy was just too weird this time. And what doctor/nurse walks by a wound and says "I think this might be infected", have the patient bravely say "I'll be fine" and just walk away?

But the whole episode, I was thinking that SGU might have survived had they given more prominent roles to the beautiful women on the show. More TJ, Jin, and even Lt. Boobs certainly could only have helped with the number of males watching!

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Without rewatching to check, my impression was that she was going for supplies, not walking away...

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought it was odd that the Ancient database would know enough detailed human physiology to assist in a kidney replacement surgery.

Eli could have made out with Ginn and Chloe at the same time.

4. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    see, I thought it was odd that their medical facility didn't have anything but diagnostic equipment. Their facility should have been centuries ahead of ours.

oh yeah, first thing I thought was that this was Eli's second best wet dream ;)

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I was watching with captions on so I was amused that right before the surgery, when Brodie was playing "Thus Spake Zarathustra" the captions read "Theme from '2001' playing." :D

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I guess that settles THAT argument! :D

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It would be odd, if they hadn't already established (in SG-1) that Ancient physiology is basically identical to human. One of the worst things they did on that show... they never provided a decent explanation for that. And after going to all that trouble to set up a nice explanation for why the Milky Way was filled with humans, too.

8. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I wish I could remember stuff like this.

9. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I think the V writers tried to sneak into SGU (after having their way with the Fringe script last week).

One of my favorite lines was something along the lines of "we're monitoring the stones continuously 24-hours per day" :p

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This album from he early 70s by Deodato has the greatest version of Also Sprach Zarathustra ever made in my humble opinion. Lots of jazz heavyweights on this album. The rest of the album is schmaltzy but ASZ is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Prelude-CTI-R...4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1301585368&sr=1-4-spell

11. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    To me this was another filler episode, entertaining but did not lead us any closer to any answers.

12. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I don't see how a combat medic, (in this case, basically a first aid officer) is going to complete a field transplant by herself. It usually takes a team of surgeons. I don't care how many schematics she has, and she's doing both ends of the procedure. (!)

I have a few hours dual time in single engine aircraft. Doesn't mean I could watch a video and pilot Endeavour. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter. They're all gonna die anyway.

13. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I thought that as well, and almost posted it in the OP, but then I decided that the two brilliant women being part of the ship now can be a major game changer.

14. AeneaGames

AeneaGames Member

May 2, 2009
    Not sure if I remember correctly, but the ancients lived on earth and moved away, Atlantis and all that???

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it was a step forward in our understanding of the ship (including finally revealing what we suspected about the guy who disappeared from the chair), and it sets up a huge step forward since now there are people in the ship's brain who communicate with the people outside it.

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    They (at least some of them) lived on Earth at one time, but weren't from there originally... we're supposed to be the "second evolution" of this form... or something. Like I say, they never really explained it properly.

17. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    True to a certain degree, but it set us up with two intelligences that are capable of helping us communicate with the Destiny's AI (I assume it has one) so we can better understand the ship and its mission. And the two big nerds, Rush and Eli now have virtual girlfriends for company.

18. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Stargate SG1 established that humans are descended from the Ancients. Stargate Atlantis established that some humans still contain recognizable Ancient DNA.

19. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I kinda felt that way as well, but on the other hand, it wasn't a bad episode either. (As opposed to some of their other filler episodes that were really horrible). I didn't dislike it.

20. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    The fact that some humans had Ancient genes was established in Stargate SG-1. That was how Jack could operate the Ancient devices and fight for Earth in the old Ancient chair in Antartica.