Stargate SG-1 1/13/2006 (S09E12) "Collateral Damage"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jonathan_S, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

CSI: Stargate. :D

Or at least it seemed that way.

I really, really, wouldn't want to be hooked up to a memory altering machine. (The ability to implant skills without the associated memories could be very cool, but having someone elses memories dropped in my head would be bad).

2. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This episode was quite similar to an episode from the first season of Star Trek: Voyager called "Ex Post Facto."

The "memories" of that episode prevented me from thoroughly enjoying this one. :(

3. GTO40

GTO40 Tivo Addict

Jul 25, 2005
    Midwest -...
    Also, Star Trek: Deep Space 9 " Hard Time "

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Gawd was that boring or what? First scene was a city that I thought was Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth circa 2006. Later examination made me think of Melbourn Australia. The only SF aspect was the memory machine.

The episode of In Justice I watched after it was much more intriguing.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

This is another good reason why... you simiply don't mess with the brain... especially memories...

6. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    This was a boring ep. to me. I hope they have move past this storyline quickly.

7. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    The only fun part of this episode was when dh and I were trying to figure out who the blond guy was.

Hint "Yes, it is true this man has no dick"

second hint popcorn and lasers.

Emily

8. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Yes, I recognized him as the governmental official trying to shut down the Ghostbusters!!

Gerry

9. nedthelab

nedthelab New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    SF
    Lets see-

Total Recall Ripoff, Payday, Brainstorm, the last Episode of the TOS STARTREK - Stargate needS some sort of infusion (QUICK) and Mitchell is a poor O'neil replacement IMHO - Did you see Carter just standing around with a goofy haircut???

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Slightly OT. But, did you notice the MPEG compression artifacting througout the show. I noticed it at the end in the locker scene. When it faded to the credits, you could still see the leftovers in the background. Especially, the "shadows" of the lockers and the bench.

SG Atlantis was the same. As are most Sci Fi shows. And, most DirecTV these days. :(

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect that when they were writing this season, they didn't know when she'd be back and how much she'd be able to do, so they kept her workload light longer than turne dout to be necessary, to be on the safe side.

12. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I found this eps much more interesting than last week's. It was nice to see some insight into what makes Mitchell who he is.

13. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    Around our house, a tired mind-control script like this in a SF show is referred to as a "mind-f**k" episode.

I was tired of seeing them in every Star Trek series, and I'm tired of seeing them in Stargate.

Next episode, please.

14. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I agree...it may have been a waste of an ep, but they used it to add dimensions/detail to a main character...I thought that was very nicely done...

at least they had a twist and it wasn't the administrator/emissary that had killed her!

15. robpickles

robpickles Lurking Around

May 19, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    He was actually an EPA (Enviornmental Protection Agency) official. :D
    And yes was a complete idiot for shutting off a complicated, nuclear-driven machine he knew nothing about.

Rob :)

16. brianp6621

brianp6621 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 22, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    No, didn't notice any of that here.

17. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    another I was falsely accused of a murder I didn't commit. zzzz. I'm just glad the government wasn't behind it as is de riguer.

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I expected to see Kent McCord as Crichton's, er, I mean, Cameron's father. :D

19. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Knew "Dickless" was coming the second I saw the name "William Atherton" in the opening credits.

Quickly figured out, before they showed him, that Browder was trying to emulate Atherton in that opening scene. Not too bad, Ben. Not a perfect mimickry, but not too bad. :up:

20. Bill Reeves

Bill Reeves Lurker

Jul 17, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Wasn't "Dickless" also the jerk reporter from "Die Hard" and "Die Hard 2"? That's what I always remember him from.

Anyways, I found this episode of Stargate intriguing -- not because of the plot or any of the "twists" or whatever, all of that was pretty pedestrian, but the concept of the memory-altering machine could have made for a really good story. Kind of a Philip K Dick style cerebral science fiction story.

I mean, if that machine can be used to so seamlessly remove or alter someone's memory, how do we know who killed the hot scientist chick? My theory was that it was the other scientist -- not the ex-husband, but the other guy was secretly in love with her, and saw her leaving with Ben Browder, and went and killed her and implanted the memory in Crichton, and then altered the memory so Mitchell saw the other scientist in the reflection. The other scientist didn't have any memory of it because he didn't do it, so when they went and altered his memory they were just compounding the crime. Really, what is reality if everyone's memory can be altered so thoroughly?

Of course, that wasn't the episode we got -- we got a rehash of any number of past Star Trek or other shows which introduce world- or galaxy-changing technology and then throw it away -- they should go back to that planet later this season and find a totalitarian dictatorship preparing to invade Earth by taking over key people with that machine or something -- but of course they won't. But it made me think, which isn't bad for a Stargate episode.