Stargate question. SG1/Atlantis

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by richNYC, Jun 19, 2006.

1. richNYC

richNYC New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Cortlandt...

Advertisements

I've been Netflixing through Stargate SG1 and I'm about to finish up Season 7.

What should I watch next, Altlantis season 1 or SG1 season 8? Does it matter?

2. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I don't think it matters. Atlantis might be a nice change of pace though...

3. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I vote for Atlantis. Its good fun and like 7thton said would be a nice sidebreak from the same characters ovre and over.

4. purple6816

purple6816 New Member

May 27, 2003
    NorthWest
    Atlantis would be my recommendation. After the 7the season stargate went down hill and has not rebounded.

Now be prepared for Dr Weir she is annoying at first. But, she starts to take a lessor role as the season progress's. Enjoy the first season is great.

5. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...

Advertisements

And Rodney, who is the total poster child for annoying and yet you love him for it.

6. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    there's also some tiny overlap in the stories so it makes sense not to get too far ahead in one show versus the other...so this is another vote for Atlantis...

7. hearth

hearth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I would vote to get Disk 1 of SG-1, then Disk 1 of Atlantis and alternate thru those seasons. You definitely want to watch the last few episodes of SG-1 before the last few episodes of Atlantis, as something is found on earth that has an impact on the season finale of Atlantis...

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I dunno... I thought the last Claudia Black episode was one of the best ever.

9. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Definitely watch SG-1 season 8 soon. They finish many of the multi-year storylines in season 8!

10. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    I agree with hearth. Mixing it up would be probably be best.

There's a bit of overlap but not much. If you do one season or the other it probably won't matter.

11. richNYC

richNYC New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Cortlandt...
    Thanks for the tips... I'm through the first two disks of each and I gotta say I'm disappointed in Atlantis.

I think the acting/writing is just awful at times, particularly Weir. She really is bad - not believable, interesting, funny, or hot.

So far, I give SG1 season 8 a B+ and Atlantis season 1 a C-.

I guess I'll finish up Season 1 and then decide whether to continue....

Any thoughts?

12. richNYC

richNYC New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Cortlandt...
    I just re-read this note, so I'm hopeful...

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    People are on both sides of Atlantis. Personally I prefer Atlantis to SG1 at this point.

14. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Second the motion to hang in there, especially with Weir. She's not the most expressive actress, I grant you, but they do some interesting stuff with her character later on and she isn't so annoying.

Well, let me rephrase that:
    she isn't so annoying to the audience. She's very annoying to some of the characters. ;)

For me, Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett go a long way towards making up for any weaknesses in the rest of the cast, but YMMV. Without seeing Torri Higginson (Weir) in some other production, I don't want to speculate on how much of her performance is bad acting -- she could be giving them exactly what they ask for.

Jan

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And for what it's worth, she's worlds better than Jessica Steen was in the same role. I've liked Steen in other stuff, but in Stargate, I wouldn't have chosen her as Weir to organize an expedition to the grocery store, much less another galaxy!

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Agree that I really didn't like Weir at first either but she has gotten a lot better as a character late season 1 and into season 2.

My fav moments besides Sheppard are when McKay and the Czech guy (I won't even try to spell it) go back and forth with each other. Priceless.

I just wish they would bring back that hot red head Genii they have in a holding cell. :D

17. dylking

dylking I've never farded

Jul 20, 2003
    St Paul, MN
    She was in the TekWar movies (and I think in the series). If you can find those, that would give you some comparison...

18. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I have to respectfully disagree. I thought Steen was great in the few episodes she played Dr. Weir in SG-1, and had a hard time buying Torri Higginson as Weir when SG-A started. I have since grown to accept Torri, as she plays "stoic" and "aloof" very well.

Oh well, "Tomato / Tomato."

(You know, that doesn't seen to work very well when it's not spoken!) :p

19. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I agree with drew2k. I thought Jessica Steen was much better and more commanding than Torri. It must just be a matter of taste. I don't like strawberry ice cream either, and I don't care how popular it is--I just don't like it.

20. moot

moot New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Ohio, US
    I'd personally recommend finishing up SG-1 season 8 before anything else. Season 8 was, at least for me, the finale for SG-1. Now that it's over, we have two semi-entertaining shows: Atlantis, and Stargate: The Crusades. Neither are as good as SG-1 seasons 1-8.