Stargate Atlantis 02/18/2005 (S01E15) "Before I Sleep"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jonathan_S, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

Hey, the time travel puddle jumper from SG-1 two weeks ago. (Well, ok, technically not the same ship, but Janus built the SG-1 ship as well).

Normally I dislike time travel episodes, but this one was well done. I liked the backstory about the original timeline results of getting to Atlantis, and how the ancients hadn't had to foresight to build in the failsafe to raise the city.

Plus this ties back nicely to the fact that two out of the three ZPMs were drained when the team got to atlantis this time.

Plus, 4 more chances to find a charged ZPM that nobody is using. That should have some interesting results in the next few episodes.

I do sort of wonder about the damage that last transport ship was taking, given that the massive system defence station discovered by Shepard three episodes back should have still been online. I would have thought it would have kept the Wraith futher away from the planet.

2. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I enjoyed all of the "Back To The Future" references.

3. shaunrose

shaunrose New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    I liked how Rodney said not to get him started talking about all of the problems with that movie. Reminds me of some of the threads I've seen here!

4. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    the banter between all the guys about how they couldn't hack it the first time and died was pretty good.

The old Elizabeth knowing about the birthday present that the young Elizabeth got from Sheppard was an error, though...unless you can assume that they wasted time telling the dying woman all that has happened since they got to Atlantis (which would be stupid)...

5. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000

Advertisements

I don't still have the episode .. but as I recall it, the "old Elizabeth" just references their birthday (as things the "young Elizabeth" should just learn to chill and enjoy) .. not a direct reference to the birthday present. "Young Elizabeth" then makes a comment about Sheppard .. the presumption I had was that Sheppard wished the "old Elizabeth" a happy birthday as well.. and thus "old Elizabeth" knew what day she was back on.

Nothing seems "wrong" about any of that to me.

6. newswatcher

newswatcher Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    Still can't figure out why the consoles at Atlantis need to be tarp covered. Could it be that dusty there? Especially underwater (initially) and even after it has surfaced...

I did like this episode but they talk so fast (as they do on so many other shows like Numb3rs,
    and expecially with Atlantis) that I am compelled to turn on the caption feature. Slow it down folks: is there a race here to see how many words you can fit into an episode?

7. lordrichter

lordrichter Registered User

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    Despite evidence to the contrary, I believe that it is too coincidental that two puddle jumpers with time devices on them exist in two different times in two different universes. Sure he took his research material with him, but where did he get the puddle jumper to mount his new time device in?

No, there were 10,000 years for the "destroyed" puddle jumper to get to our galaxy, and I think it did.

It would not surprise me if he PLANNED to come back to get it, given the fact that he knew that the city would remain powered for 10,000 years.

It's not like Wehr would run into him...

8. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I really enjoyed the episode. I guess I am in the minority but I generally enjoy time travel episodes.

9. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is it just me or is Torri Higginson HOT!?!?! I like her a lot. And for some reason she reminds me of Debrah Farentino from "Earth 2." I'm not sure why though. Maybe it's the whole matriarchal aspect of both characters that are similar.

10. bobbi

bobbi Love to Lurk

Mar 21, 2002
    New York City
    My initial instinct had been that this was going to be lousy, since I figured out pretty early that the old lady was Dr. Weir, but I actually thought this was a great episode. Really well done, and a lot of fun to watch. Nothing deep, but nothing on Atlantis HAS been so far, so it's not like I expected that. :)

11. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Was that the same planet as the one Atlantis is on? I thought that was a different planet. The night was long and cold etc.

Nice to see some exploring of Atlantis going on.

12. edhara

edhara Shaken, not stirred

Feb 17, 2002
    Rancho...
    The one thing that I had an issue with is the fact that I thought the Atlanteans were supposed to have ascended and disappeared, not left for earth never to return - which doesn't quite jive with what I understood from last week's episode. Or am I missing something?

13. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    They didn't. That was just an "Earth thing" Dr. Weir did. Coming from our timeframe and traditions, when she was closing up shop, so to speak, she naturally covered the consoles just as someone would on Earth who was boarding up a house. It's funny, because when they were showing the flashback of the team untarping the consoles, I too wondered why the Atlanteans would do that. Then, half an hour later, we see Weir tarping the consoles herself, a very Earth thing to do.

Ummm, I think it's just you. She's certainly no dog, but I wouldn't place her in the hot category. She absolutely reminds me of Farentino from Earth 2, however.

And my thoughts about this episode: wow! Really great writing, especially for a time travel/mini-clip episode. I couldn't tell where the new clips departed from the old ones. Very effective use, IMHO.

I also am loving the interplay between Sheppard and McKay more and more. Man, this show has great humor embedded within fun storytelling. Here's to 10,000 more years of Atlantis!

14. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    I don't think the full story on that has been revealed. The Altanteans of 10,000 years ago seem to already have been in decline for some time. I think the majority of the Atlanteans had already "Ascended" by then.

There are other questions such as why have the Asgard not ascended as they are almost as old as the Atlanteans? Is it because of their beliefs or mistakes they made such as cloning?

Also they have never revealed who the furlings are and what their role might have been. We know about the Nox and it seems some of them may have ascended but there are still some of them around also.

15. newswatcher

newswatcher Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    Yeah, but she obviously wasn't on earth, which I think she knew. :)
    Just seemed kind of strange since the city was under water when she originally
    tarped them. I think she tarped them due to the construction that was taking
    place on the set. Don't believe I said that! Anyway, I found it (the event itself,
    the tarping) to be ludicrous. Maybe she wanted to protect the equipment from
    water leakage. Or, maybe she didn't want to mess up the timeline for events to
    follow 10,000 years later.

And yes, I've got the hots for Torri Higginson. Goes all the way back to "Storm of the Century." Very attractive lady. She could easily pass (except for height) for Sigourney Weaver's sister...

[​IMG][​IMG]

A little trivia from imdb.com:

Has appeared in two different, completely unrelated productions which featured a character named Janus: "TekWar" (1994) and "Stargate: Atlantis" (2004).

16. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

Hubba hubba!

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought so this episode, too. I also wondered if anyone has ever seen her and Pierce Brosnan at the same time and place.

18. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Be careful, ulkanda is a spammer.

19. lordrichter

lordrichter Registered User

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    And a point for the editing team and writers in that the original Atlantis party did not take plastic off the consoles but they did show the "second" Atlantis party doing just that.

20. zync

zync Long live TiVo

Feb 21, 2003
    Except that the 1st time there was no Weir to do the tarping, so the Atlanteans did the tarping originally, and Weir did it the 2nd time.