Star Trek:TNG "Who Watches the Watchers?" (S3E04)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Jan 10, 2012.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Haven't watched this one yet, but figured I'd start the thread.

2. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Two minor comments on this episode:

1. I liked the continuity that the Mintakan tapestry he was given actually continues to show up quite frequently through the rest of the series.

2. I kept expecting the Gorn to show up (it's filmed at Vasquez Rocks, and you can even see some of the landmarks from Arena in the background of some shots)

3. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Overall, a good episode. Well written and acted, I thought.

The most intriguing aspect to me is this: As important as the "prime directive" is supposed to be, watching primitive people at that close a range seems extraordinarily risky. The scenario depicted in this episode seems all too likely to happen. Kind of like building a nuke plant right on top of a fault line. Just too risky.

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Ray Wise! And, of course, the greatest character in the history of the world:

[​IMG]

Pamela Adlon (she was Segall back then), the voice was regognizable the second she opened her mouth.

Great episode, although I do agree with the previous comments. I also remember referring to The Picard for YEARS.

Greg

5. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OK, I'm going real time.

Ah, Geordi. Chief Engineer of the Federation flagship, and you're still portrayed as the idiot used to give exposition to the audience.

Proto-Vulcan. In other words, "We get to go pretty cheap on the makeup this episode."

One thing that has always bugged me about speeds--"If we increase to Warp 7, we can be there in 23 minutes". Why didn't you start off at that?

Hottie McFadden just abducted that guy. She could probe me any time.

Maybe it's addressed within the episode, but how did they build that observation platform in the first place?

"Why didn't you let him die?" Wow, the Prime Directive is harsh!

A mention of Pulaski. Interesting.

How do they not have that alien dude on something to make sure he doesn't wake up?

Riker seems pretty calm about Troi possibly pimping him out to the aliens.

Riker probably wasn't the best choice to send down--he could be recognized from the outpost.

Have I mentioned yet this episode how good the new uniforms look?

Well, that didn't work well. I can't keep track of how many times Riker has been out of site and he's not beamed up.

Kind of had a gap in there--as soon as Patrick Stewart got involved, the episode got really good. Even though I knew that Picard wouldn't die, I still found myself shocked when he was shot. As with many episodes this season, I'd say this story was so-so, with a lot of usual Star Trek tropes--but the strength of the cast, and especially of Patrick Stewart, really took it up a couple of notches.