Star Trek:TNG "Where Silence Has Lease" (S2E2)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DougF, Oct 17, 2011.

1. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I think the Riker/Worf holodeck thing was just silly, but otherwise I thought it started off well. Bring Pulaski to the bridge seemed to be pointless, but otherwise it was moving along as a pretty good episode.

Then, suddenly it all falls apart when Picard decides to do the auto-destruct. The apparent continuity blunder of being able to set the time didn't bother me, just the fact that he did it at all. Then, he goes back to his quarters, turns on music and put his feet up? That was way out of character for him, IMO, and blew the entire episode for me.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Forgot about this episode last week!

Yeah, noticed the auto destruct time thing instantly. Maybe the Enterprise computer got a firmware upgrade? New feature in Starfleet OS 5.0?

I wasn't all that bothered by the auto-destruct and what followed. Picard knew he couldn't run (they tried that), couldn't fight (nothing physically there to fight), and couldn't do nothing (Nagilum would continue to experiment on them). He played the only card he could, the auto-destruct.

What happened next was an interesting bit of subtext. By going back to his quarters and chilling, he was actually playing a game of chicken, knowing already that Nagilum would blink first. The whole time that Nagilum was studing them, Picard was studying Nagilum, and had already determined how Nagilum would likely respond.

Overall, I was just "OK" with this episode. Hard to get too enthused about one of TNG's many budget-saving "bottle" episodes. Lots of talking, not a whole lot going on.

3. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Was there a Picard Maneouver in the last episode? I was watching for it, but it looked like they were still wearing jumpsuits. But here? 30 seconds in, BAM! Picard Maneuver.

And that's all I have to say about this one. :-D

Greg

4. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I noticed it a couple of times in Season 1.

5. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Hmm. I don't have to do it with MY TNG jumpsuit. :)

Greg

6. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I'm doing a little catch up today (took the day off), so I'm now watching this episode. Only about 15 minutes in, but there's one thing that I just noticed--one of the bulbs in the captain's chair seems to be out. One arm rest/control panel thing is lit, one isn't.

7. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    They fixed the lightbulb at some point. :)

Simple yet decent episode. I would rate it highly if only Nagilum had brutally killed off Pulaski; during her little racist rant against Data, I wanted to jump through the screen and jab a pencil through her brain. Totally worthless character, and absolutely no reason for her to be on the bridge. Picard should have yelled at her for taking over his big screen TV set.

I couldn't figure out why Wesley was gone from the bridge and "Ensign Obvious" (as I started calling him, after all the star patterns showed up) was there instead. I'm trying to remember if this is the first time that we've had a real red shirt death to an actual red shirt.

I really liked Picard's game of chicken at the end. I agree with Loadstar, I think that setting the self destruct and then chilling in his quarters was the absolute "Picard" thing to do.