Star Trek:TNG "We'll always have Paris" (S1E24)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1 of 12
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OAD: 5/2/1988

I'm too tired to watch any more tonight, but I thought I'd get the threads ready. Two things I remember from this episode--the girl that played Picard's young love interest was INCREDIBLY hot, and Data uses a contraction.

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2 of 12
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    An average episode, really, interesting only because of the attempt to give Picard a love interest for the first time in the series.

Michelle Philips (of the Mamas and the Papas) looked pretty good as Jenice Manheim in this episode. That is, until they let Bill Theiss and the wardrobe department at her and dressed her from neck to toe (literally) in that weird blue jumper and matching boots. The young Gabrielle in the holo-cafe was rather attractive as well.

I kind of liked the way they played with time a bit, particularly when they had them get in the turbolift, see themselves out in the corridor - and then we seamlessly begin following them out in the corridor, as if they hadn't even boarded the turbolift. Yet in dialogue, they acknowledged remembered getting on the turbolift and seeing themselves in the corridor. It was a very adept way of demonstrating the time effects.

3. Oct 9, 2011 #3 of 12
    Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Why wasn't it raining in Picard's recreation?

4. Oct 9, 2011 #4 of 12
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    He wasn't recreating the exact day, he was just recreating the cafe itself. The girl he talked to there wasn't the future Jenice Manheim, it was a girl named Gabrielle who was similarly stood up by her boyfriend.

(Interesting that the computer was able to pick up on the context of his conversation with the waiter and develop the scenario that there was another girl stood up, like he stood Jenice up.)

5. Oct 9, 2011 #5 of 12
    Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    He did ask for how it appeared on the specific date. Maybe he got his years wrong.

6. Oct 9, 2011 #6 of 12
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good point... but he also asked for it to be a "warm spring day." Now, that doesn't necessarily preclude rain, but I guess the computer would have only included rain had he asked for it. And when he said "as it appeared on..." he probably just meant architecturally.

Edit: and maybe that wasn't the *exact* date he stood Jenice up, although to reference that specific date out of any would make that rather unlikely.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #7 of 12
    Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    I can remember how really cool it was to see the Eiffel Tower with ships flying around it.

8. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    This one's been a favorite of mine since it aired. Most of it worked very well. If you put your self in the time it aired, Michelle Philip's wardrobe isn't even that bad.

The only minor issue I have is the bit about Picard leaving Paris without saying goodbye. Isn't that nearly the same story we've heard before with Riker/Troi and Decker/Ilia?

9. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Finally finding time to watch this. I'll comment first that I always assumed that Picard requested the specific date that he didn't show at the cafe, and that Gabrielle was Jenice. But it makes me feel better that it might have been just a "random" recreation, as opposed to the Enterprise having recorded details of every day in every spot in Paris, and probably the entire planet.

But for some more real time comments:

I love seeing fencing on television shows. I have no idea if any of it is in any way realistic, but it's always fascinated me.

I'm confused how the people could remember the time loop, but they made it sound like the computers just somehow looped back without any ill effects.

Why is it that, whenever someone on the bridge "estimates" a time of arrival, it's always in seconds? In the turbolift, when Picard asks the computer for an ETA, it just gives it in minutes, but Geordi takes it down to the second.

Am I really to believe that the French of the 24th century are OK with someone coming into their cafe just for the view?

Holy crap, that blonde is hot.

I still want to know what bodily function Data was going to mention.

They got very specific with coordinates in this episode. It actually worked really well.

That woman has huge teeth. I don't see any issue with her outfit...but those teeth are tough to look away from.

The turbolift time "hiccup" scene was a little strange, but a really interesting approach. It's time travel (in a way), so you've got to check your brain at the door anyway. But it's kind of a cool approach.

OK, it's a small nit, but Jenice should have come in from the other door.

Should Data really need a countdown?

There's that contraction. It's bothered me for years.

So the guy just about destroys the universe, and after Data fixes it (using some really non-specific science), he's just going back? And the Federation would love to help? I'd think they would blow up the planet...

Why would the computer ask if they wanted to terminate the current program if Picard is already in the holodeck?

I'm torn on this episode as a whole. If you really check your brain at the door, I think it's one of the best of the first season. Good drama, good character work. But the science is completely missing. None of that makes any sense at all. I'm willing to ignore the science and enjoy a decent episode, though, especially after some of the comments about the next episode...

10. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Why are they allocating valuable ship space (it looks like a cargo hold) to fencing? Why don't they just do it in the holodeck? Picard's already explained before that the crew uses the holodeck for training.

Greg

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Perhaps it really was a cargo hold, but one reserved for future use, so it was used as a fencing venue in the interim?

12. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Well sure, and Starfleet has never been known to conserve space. Look at the Enterprise bridge, you could play shuffleboard in there. :p

Greg