Star Trek:TNG "Time Squared" (S2E13)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Nov 19, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...

Advertisements

A lot bugged me about this episode when I first saw it years ago. Turns out I was right. But first, for a positive comment--the "split screen" stuff with both Picards was extremely good. So good, in fact, I actually Googled to see if he had a twin (like they did in Terminator 2 with Linda Hamilton's twin sister).

OK, that's out of the way. Wow, what a bunch of drek. First, Riker is making "omelets" (according to Pulaski...btw, who has ale with eggs?), but then he just scrambles them up...and poorly. Then, as the episode really kicks off, Riker doesn't seem to recognize an Enterprise shuttlecraft. I'll grant you that the little box on sticks shuttlecraft from the second season didn't have any distinguishing markings...but Riker read the registration of the Enterprise off of the El-Baz like he had no idea what it was.

And just to break to talk about sets and tech...is this the first time we have seen the shuttlebay? Seems like we caught a glimpse of it with a decent shuttle in The Child; this view just kind of sucks. And did anyone else notice how nobody used a full name when using intra-ship communications?

OK, back to complaining. We spend the next 20 minutes with Picard not being too sure of himself, and everybody wondering what to do. Call me crazy, but I'm all for plan A--turn the heck around.

To conclude the episode, we wind up with one Picard apparently killing the other (WTF?) using a phaser in an unlocked locker next to the door (WTF?), and deciding to high tail it into the energy whirlpool, because, well, WTF?

I'll grant that this is still way ahead of a lot of Season 1...but it seemed like a decent looking waste of time.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The vortex in this episode was beautiful, possibly one of the best ship exterior effects the show has done so far.

Troi following Picard around in this episode like a lost puppy dog was a little weird. In one case, she followed him from the bridge -- yet beat him to sickbay. Not sure how that one worked. I also liked how he ordered her to stay with the other Picard... which she chose to completely ignore after a brief conversation with Pulaski.

Speaking of which, I didn't get the whole bit with Pulaski threatening to order Picard unfit for command. He seemed to be handling the whole thing just fine.

I noticed the omelet thing too. It looked like he started out fine... but then started to scramble the eggs on the skillet rather than letting them sit and folding them.

Overall, I didn't think this was the worst episode in the world... I think when they redid the episode later on as "Cause and Effect" it was a better episode though.

3. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I will agree that the vortex FX were great. I also noticed a lot of warp starfields in the conference room, which had to be a pretty expensive effect. And, even though I wasn't a fan of the season 2 shuttlebay, I will say that seeing the vortex out the shuttlebay door was really impressive.

Overall, the FX were really top notch for this episode (again, I feel I need to mention how well done the dual Picard stuff was). Everything else just fell flat for me.

4. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    For the most part, I like this one. Agreed that the FX were oustanding and that was the worst omelet-making ever.

This is a minor-quibble. It always bugged me a bit that Riker and Pulaski talk about his father and there is no mention of the fact that Pulaski knew Dad very well. That, of course, wasn't realized until the next episode aired.

Now I was just thinking that he seemed unusually rattled. But, I'm sure I would also be if Future Doug showed up at my job half-dead. :)