Star Trek:TNG "The Samaritan Snare" (S2E17)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1 of 12
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I haven't had a chance to watch this week's episodes yet, and if I have to skip one, it'll be this episode. I just remember it smelling like a rancid turd on a humid day. The Pakleds had to be the worst race ever created for Star Trek, and the whole out of the blue "Picard has a fake heart" storyline was rough. But if I have the time to watch it, I'm curious if my feelings from 20 years ago will still be true.

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 12
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I feel just the opposite, with both plots. This is one of my most fondly remembered episodes, the Pakleds are just endearing to me, and the whole beginning part with Geordi fixing the ship to make it go is yet another tech support visit from hell. You know the look the Pakled gave to Geordi when he was showing them that he was going to reroute "this" to "there"? I got the same look from a lady yesterday when I was showing her the steps to find a paper jam. No, it didn't say LOAD LETTER.

I remember the Picard plot, but didn't remember it being in THIS particular episode. I had the same problem during our Babylon 5 rewatch, a lot of things I remembered happening but not in those particular episodes. I must say, the 23rd Century really has the whole heart transplant thing nailed. Picard was ready to get busy 5 minutes after surgery!

Anyway, I've always enjoyed this episode. We are smart.

Greg

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 12
    PKurmas

PKurmas Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Savannah GA
    I'm not rewatching (I only have the VHS tapes & no active player anymore), but 20+ years later I still drop the lines "We look for things... things to make us go" and "He is smart... we are not smart..." in conversation. And so do some of my colleagues.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 12
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Got Netflix? That's how most of us are watching.

Greg

5. Dec 6, 2011 #5 of 12
    kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    This. We made a lot of Pakled jokes when I was a sysadmin.

Overall, not a great episode, but at least it was a decent setup for season six's Tapestry

6. Dec 6, 2011 #6 of 12
    doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I decided to give this one another shot. It still stinks like a massive pile of poo. Giant, stinking, pile of poo scented poo on top of a giant pile of crap, covered in a layer of feces.

I could complain for paragraphs. So instead, I'll just say that the only good point of the episode was the fact that Gomez wasn't nearly as bumbling as the previous episode.

Did I mention how bad this was?

7. Dec 7, 2011 #7 of 12
    Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I had a boss for a while that used Pakled quotes constantly. Appropriate, since he managed a group of engineers.

E. g. A job well done usually resulted in, "You are smart!" (In appropriate Pakled cadence and voice.)

The launch of a new engineering assignment was often accompanied with "Can you make us go?" or "Make us strong!"

A vexing engineering problem, requiring some team brainstorming to find a solution would often generate a "We look for things. ...things we need."

He was a good boss.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #8 of 12
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I also used to have a boss who frequently referenced the Pakleds.

This is another not too bad, but not great ep. for me. I did find one part to be very unrealistic. I'm quite certain Picard would rather chance having his heart quit on him than spend that many hours alone in a shuttle with Wesley. :)

9. Dec 7, 2011 #9 of 12
    doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OK, since you mentioned the shuttle ride, I've got to rant.

1. The shuttle exterior on set looked terrible--it looked like a beat up old mobile home. The model looked halfway decent.
    2. Wesley mentions at one point "Not exactly warp speed". So the shuttle is sublight? In which case, in 6 hours, they'd be lucky to make it anywhere. The Enterprise could have just spent an extra 5 minutes at warp and gotten them to the starbase immediately.
    3. While Picard was relating the story of his stabbing to Wesley, he seemed to drift between at least three nationalities. I swear he sounded Irish at one point.

I could go on, but I'm going to force myself to stop.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didn't get why the shuttle was clearly traveling at sublight. It has what appear to be warp nacelles, and the Tech Manual (although only quasi-canon) indicates that it is capable of warp 1.75.

The best part of the episode was Picard's story about how he got the artificial heart, made better by the fact that they would eventually show the events of the story Picard told in the episode "Tapestry."

The whole OR scene was sheer pain. I have to imagine early drafts of the script looked like:
    SURGEON 1: The [tech] is not [teching!] You've got to [tech] the [tech] and [tech] the [tech]!
    SURGEON 2: [tech] [tech] the [tech]!
    SURGEON 1: Get a [tech] [tech] [tech] [tech] [tech] in here!

Of course, when handed a script that looks like that... the only way to make it better is, of course, to overact it, which is what the actor playing the lead surgeon did. Reminded me of Jon Lovitz' character from SNL, the Master Thespian. "ACTING!!!"

As for the Pakled storyline... I was a bit amused by the Pakleds themselves. The actual story, though, was a bit of a dud for me. The "Crimson Force Field" was no Corbomite device, that's for sure. Beyond that, it's intriguing how Geordi could apparently build, then dismantle a photon torpedo (and, I would hope, torpedo launch tubes, or it's going to be the most pointless torpedo in the history of the universe) all without leaving the bridge, or engineering, or whatever that random space on the ship was.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, man... this quote from Dennis Russell Bailey, as quoted on Memory Alpha, pretty much nails the issues with this episode:
    Amen, brother. Amen.

12. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Surgeon
    [​IMG]

BENZALI!
    [​IMG]