Star Trek TNG: The Emissary (S2E20)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Dec 12, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I barely remember this episode; I believe that I missed it during first run and was caught by surprise by it in later reruns.

2. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    This episode justifies its existence by featuring that tall drink of water nerd-girl actress Suzie Plakson, and introducing her character, K'Ehleyr.

Ain't no sarcastic-beyatch-with-attitude like a (half) Klingon sarcastic-beyatch-with-attitude! :up:

She carried the episode.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It is rather interesting how the same actress can play two characters less than a season apart, and have them be so totally different that you can't tell that it is the same actress unless you are really paying attention. (She previously played Selar in "The Schizoid Man.") The makeup helps, true, but the acting does more.

4. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I almost love this episode, and it's solely because of Suzie Plakson.

"We are mated." "I know; I was there." Or something like that.

5. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I haven't done a running commentary in a while, and I know how everyone is waiting with baited breath for me to do another. (misspelling is intentional)

So Data can go into character as a 40's thug or Sherlock Holmes, but the term "fold" in poker screws him up?
    There goes Pulaski, flirting with Worf again.
    Class 11 emergency? Are they someday going to have a full fledged polkadot class 57C emergency? Of all the things they put into a show "bible", I wish they'd define stuff like this better. I'm guessing that Class 11 is pretty bad, simply because of the music.
    Klingons never bluff...can anyone say "foreshadowing"?
    Does the secrecy serve any purpose other than to artificially increase tension?
    Ship has tractor beams everywhere, doesn't it?
    WTF is that outfit?
    Uh, oh--relationship issues!
    K'eylar's mom must have been pretty tough, from the way Worf describes Klingon...um...romance.
    Skin tight leather? Why don't all Klingons dress this way?
    Worf is reading a bunch of detail about the Klingon mission from a screen full of buttons.
    Table...she's gonna break it...yup, I was right.
    Another skin tight outfit. I've got to find the Fashion it So post for this episode...
    They can't have a civil conversation, but she gets all murderous, and Worf gets pretty hot and bothered.
    I'm guessing they got it on during the commercial break?
    Is that Diedrich Bader at Tactical?
    Comfortable chair? Compared to having the only post on the bridge that doesn't have a chair, I'd probably have to agree.

I liked how they allowed Worf and K'eylar to have a physical relationship without showing anything. They left the implied mystique of Klingon sexuality just that--implied. It would have been easy to, at the end, have the two share an emotional kiss...but it would have been totally wrong.

The episode was far from perfect, but we're so close to season 3 and things starting to get really good that I see this one more as a weaker episode from the good part of the series, than a strong one from the bad part. And I think that's a good thing.

6. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Yes.

One of his first acting roles.

7. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Where was the Worf Mating Howl he demonstrated to Wesley? Geez I was so in love with Susie Plakson. :) I remember this episode very well, I think this is right around when I started to really get into TNG.

Greg

8. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Just started. Love Worf's line in the poker game: "Talk or play. Not both."

9. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    That stuff with the probe was silly. It only saved six hours? Wouldn't it take at least that long or close to strip the thing of it's innards and install life support? Not to mention there was obviously no room in or on the thing for any kind of propulsion system.

Worf and K'Ehleyr are fighting Skeletor and a Tusken Raider

The lab Worf, K'Ehleyr and Data are in has a kind of Batcave feel to it. Those computer/workstations/whatever are huge! I was expecting to see the Bat Dust Separator sign.

Commander Riker should get promoted to Captain Obvious: "They've cloaked themselves."

10. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Bingo. This one wasn't bad but it wasn't that great, either. Good casting of the K'Ehleyr character helped make an episode that could've turned out bad watchable.

11. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    No matter how many times I've seen them, I always sit down and actively pay attention to K'Ehleyr eps - GREAT actress! I just wish they hadn't killed her off - she's much more intriguing than Worf's problems with Alexander!

12. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I so totally agree.

My two favorite guest actors in the Star Trek franchise are probably Suzie Plakson and Jeffrey Combs.

And while I've ranted in these threads about how bad the series "Enterprise" was overall, one of those episodes ("Cease Fire") had them both making it an awesome episode!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]