Star Trek:TNG "The Defector" (S3E10)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Feb 7, 2012.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow. Is there anything in this episode that wasn't hitting on all cylinders? The cast nailed it. They had to have blown a significant amount of money on FX. The writing (Ronald Moore, of course) was spot on perfect. There are a few episodes of this series that exemplify everything that this show could be--and this was one of those episodes.

With how powerful the story was, I want to hit the tech first. If I didn't know about stuff coming up later in the season, I'd say they blew the FX budget on this episode. A new Romulan ship, lots of stuff on viewscreens and out windows, and I think there was even a new Enterprise action shot at the end of the episode. And it might seem silly, but I'm noticing a LOT more usage of PADDs in this and a couple previous episodes. This was 1989 (actually, this episode apparently first aired on 1/1/1990), and they were all carrying iPads, and using them just as we use iPads today.

Back on the story, though, it's tough to really say anything, because I don't think I can do it justice. The plans within plans were well thought out. The acting (including Patrick Stewart in a separate role in the opening) was excellent. The emotions that the episode wanted to convey came across clearly and powerfully, without being overdone.

One thing I would have liked to have seen, although I admit it would have been corny and would have detracted from the episode overall--during the opening, when Data is listing the Shakespearean actors that he is emulating, it would have been funny to hear him mention "Stewart" in the list. :)

2. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Good timing, I just finished watching this.

I've actually been pretty ho-hum on Season 3, but this one was a notable improvement.

The plot is very Cuban Missile Crisis.

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Agreed.

The Defector is one of my favorite episodes and shows TNG at it's best.

You've got good acting and characterization from all the regulars who appeared and, bonus, outstanding performances from James Sloyan and Andreas Katsulas.

You've got a great plot and to Moore and the other writer's credit, they don't use an overly complicated trick to defeat the Romulans. They keep it simple and very effective. (In fact, I was blown away when I originally watched that scene.)

And you've got musings about morality and loyalty.

What's not to like?

My two extremely minor nits:

1. You'd think that leaving the saucer section outside of the Neutral Zone would be a good idea but yes, it's expensive to separate the ship and put the Battle Bridge set back together, yada, yada.

Maybe they could have dropped a line on how they needed the saucer section's sensor array.
    (BTW, the first appearance of the four foot Enterprise model is in this episode.)

2. I also thought that Geordi should have responded to Riker's "Get us out of here" order with "Getting us the Hell out of here".
    Yes, I know a variant of this joke showed up in Babylon 5 but I thought of it in 1990.

4. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Timely thread bump as I just finished this one.

I can't say a single negative thing about it. Just about perfect from start to finish. Agreed that this is TNG at its best.

5. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON

One of my favs also.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I haven't watched this ep in ages, but I'm tempted to rewatch it sometime.

Agreed. This was a pretty good ep.

7. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I'm a bit behind on the rewatch, but HOLY COW. What a great episode! And, I might add, one I'd never seen before.

I LOVED the Shakespeare at the beginning, with Patrick Stewart doing what he does best as a holodeck character. What a neat idea.

Tomalek returns, lots of intrigue. Great job by all involved.

Greg

8. Lymis

Lymis New Member

May 23, 2011
    Definitely a keeper. I agree, the saucer issue was one that should have come up in a number of different episodes, this one among them - and it raises all sorts of other questions, like backup sickbay and engineering as well. I can see why they didn't revisit it, but it is a bit jarring sometimes.