Star Trek:TNG "The Dauphin" (S2E10)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Nov 6, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Episode 2 of 2 this week. I'm hoping to have time to watch this tonight, with the Film Sack commentary (www.filmsack.com) going.

2. sallypnut

sallypnut Older than I look.

Oct 8, 2001
    Mountain...
    Then afterwards please enjoy my friend's hilarious Star Trek:TNG Fashion blog entry on that episode: Fashion It So

3. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Brilliant. "I've boned light beings too, son."

:D

4. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I'm surprised I didn't wake anybody up last night watching this. The commentary had me rolling--I definitely recommend it.

But to focus on the episode itself, it was a really interesting one from a structural viewpoint. There was no B plot. There was also no real threat to the ship or the crew (other than the poor dude in sickbay, which I'll mention in a minute). Pulaski was almost non-existent, which is always a plus. And, as Wesley focused episodes go, it was pretty good. Much less cringe worthy than the Season 1 Wesley stuff.

I'm certain I looked at this episode differently during the original run; Wesley was me in so many ways, and seeing him get the girl was great. Now I'm just a lonely old man, and I'm pining more for his mom. :)

The episode definitely had it's faults. The morphing FX were pretty bad. There were some consistency issues; for example, what was up with Anya's multiple forms (including the hot blond)? And why did Anya think it would be a good idea to morph into a yeti and kill a guy with a communicable disease to prevent the disease from spreading? Seems like that would make it worse.

But overall it was a good episode, and I thought the weakest part was just the terrible costumes. Can't wait for Season 3 so that the poor actors no longer have to feel like out of shape saps with (at least the men) bulging packages.

5. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    That had me laughing so hard tears came to my eyes. Brilliant!

However, the part I most agree with is this (and it was funny too):

6. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I've always found this one to be pretty dull. When I was 16, I though Salia was pretty and that the old lady was hot when she morphed into Madchen Amick. Other than that, I got nothing to say except "a taste to remember me by". What an awful line.