Star Trek:TNG "The Big Goodbye" (S1E12)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Sep 10, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OAD 1/11/1988 (apparently we're back from mid season break)

This will be an interesting week, as we get introduced to three characters that show up a few more times later in the season. Well, maybe Dixon Hill isn't a "character" in the strictest sense of the word, but he's close enough.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Surprisingly, this wasn't as good as I remembered it. Frankly, it's rather hard to believe they won a Peabody for this episode. I mean, it wasn't *bad*, but there were some big flaws with the episode.

I think the biggest problem that I had was with "Mr. Whalen," a "20th Century literature expert." Really? Is that his job on the ship? That sort of thing comes up often enough to require the Enterprise to carry someone around specializing in that? I don't think they could have made him any more obviously a red-shirt if they tried.

The Captain glowing about a holodeck fantasy during a senior staff meeting was also a little implausible. I mean, I know they haven't been out of spacedock for that long, but long enough for most of the senior staff to get the general drift of what a holodeck is and what it's like. If I were there, I'd be thinking "Uh, sir? Is this sales pitch going to take very long? Because I can come back later for the actual briefing... I kind of have stuff I could be doing..."

(And as an aside, what was Wesley doing in the senior staff meeting anyway?)

But speaking of Wesley, even though he did save the day... again... he was remarkably tolerable in this episode. He actually seemed mature and not at all whiny, so much better than in any of the recent episodes.

I also rather liked the character of Cyrus Redblock. He wasn't a one-dimensional thug, they made him an intellectual character, another good bit of writing.

3. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I haven't watched yet, but I have a couple of comments. A) This is one of the only standouts of the first season and a hint of things to come with the holodeck. 2). The whole thing nearly falls apart at the end when Cyrus Redblock walks off the holodeck and starts fading away. Made me roll my eyes back then and still does.

4. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Again, Loadstar and I are in almost total agreement. I would say that this is one of the best episodes of the season, but when you're comparing it to episodes like Justice, that doesn't say a lot.

The stuff on the Holodeck was much more enjoyable than the ship portions of the episode. A race that would ignore you for 20 years because you can't pronounce their greeting? Why would you want to associate with them? The briefing was as annoying as Loadstar mentioned--20 seconds of actual "briefing", but the rest (much like the briefing in Haven) was there to explain things to the audience.

The idea of the "20th century historian" does bug me, but not nearly as much as how automobiles were used on "ancient" earth. This is one of those tropes that shows us in Star Trek probably more often than anywhere else--400 years ago? That's ancient! Why, we have archaeologists digging up clay pots and bones of ancient man from 1934! 400 years is not ancient. Even 1000 years is not "ancient". But they keep calling it that.

Is this the only time in the series where there was a holodeck failure of this magnitude? It's really a check-your-brain-at-the-door story element; there's no way that the holodeck would be designed to somehow dematerialize crew members using it during a program, so shutting down power and prying open the doors should be all it takes to get them out.

5. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    More Data contractions!

"What's cookin'?"

"He's on ice."

"He's being grilled."

6. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Another reason why I hate that box they put themselves into. It makes sense that Data could examine literature and pick up speech patterns, but he should be able to do the same thing for current speech patterns.

7. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Just finished and I'll disagree here. I think it's held up very well. In fact, it's better for me now as I'm able to appreciate the Dixon Hill holodeck stuff more than I could when I was 16.

The stuff with the Hirada (sp?) sucked. And the scenes with Geordi and crybaby troublehooting on the holodeck just didn't work for me. The rest of it was great, though. Again, except for Redblock and what's-his-name walking off the holodeck at the end. I think that showed they needed some (or better) technical advisors to help keep the science somewhat believable.

8. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    The entire holodeck thing required quite a bit of artistic license. I'm much less bothered by Redblock and his henchman dematerializing just out of the holodeck than I am by the entire "The holodeck has malfunctioned, and if we just force the doors open we'll kill everyone in it" bit.